Sarah (Skitch) Kitchen Sarah Kitchen, a sustainable planning and urban design major from Atlanta, would like to work in the public or non-profit sector to create affordable, equitable and accessible housing for all after graduation.

Sarah (Skitch) Kitchen I'm excited to see how you all continue to innovate and change the world through design!

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD.
Involvement: CU Student Government Legislative Council; Environmental Design Student Government; The Jam Society Leadership roles: Environmental Design Senator; Legislative Council Vice President; The Jam Society Co-President

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
I wanted to study urban planning without sacrificing learning about design, so ENVD was a perfect fit!

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
I loved getting to work with the communities that I was working/designing for both within and outside of the classroom. I got to meet with industry professionals and community members in my studios, but I also got to meet with CU Boulder students I was representing as a member of CUSG's Legislative Council. I've learned a lot about how important it is to talk to the people you serve and introduce plans that they support.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
Traveling to McAllen, Texas in January 2020 with my studio. I experienced a lot of culture shock while I was in the Rio Grande Valley, but I learned so much about how different life is for Colonia residents. I almost didn't come on the trip since I didn't know anyone in the class very well, but I'm so glad that I went and I left with a growing relationship with each of my classmates and my professor, Danielle Rivera.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
I want to work in the public or non-profit sector to create affordable, equitable, and accessible housing for all.