Cecilia AlvaradoCecilia Alvarado, an architecture major from Denver, will graduate with a certificate in lighting design and plans to eventually start her own lighting design firm in the future.

Cecilia AlvaradoI will miss you and I wish all your dreams and hopes come true!!!

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD.
Enjoyed working with the amazing team that forms DWB.

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
Discovered my passion for design and the beauty of Boulder. The approach that ENVD takes on teaching design is one of a kind by placing emphasis on the environment from day one.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
Learning how to balance my personal life with my profession was one of the greatest lessons I took from CU Boulder. As we all know, ENVD requires lots of hard work and dedication - ENVD does not only teach its curriculum but also a healthy balance between life and work.

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Use these years to discover yourself. From learning the best studying habits that suit you, to discovering hobbies that make you reset and enjoy life a little more.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
My favorite memory is attending the 2019 NOMA conference in New York City with Victor Gonzales. I learned so much from amazing professionals in the architecture industry. I also got to tour the Snohetta firm! So much gratitude to DWB for that experience!!!!!!

What does graduating from college represent for you?
As a first-generation student from an immigrant family, this represents my parent's hard work to provide higher education for my siblings and me. Their resilience has given me the opportunity to break barriers that even I thought were too far from reach.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
My plans are to continue working and expanding our family business and continue to get experience in the lighting design industry. I would like to start my own lighting design firm in the future.