Published: Dec. 11, 2020

Cooper Helm, class of 2021Cooper Helm, a landscape architecture major, came to environmental design to be creative while helping people and the environment. 

Cooper Helm, class of 2021To me, this degree proves that I am capable of accomplishing something difficult. As I go forward, I'll know that at the very least I can put my mind to something for four (and a half..) years.

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
I wanted to do something creative while helping people and the environment.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
If you love something, lean into it. Skiing was my love when I started school and it has introduced me to pretty much every single one of my best friends.

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Just send it. Whether it is finishing a project or floating through pow, no one likes to hear excuses. Put in work and things will be alright no matter the end product.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
My friends and I were being some immature knuckleheads at the top of Aspen mountain, throwing snowballs at passing skiers. One of my friends nailed a pretty famous pipe skier, his reaction was priceless. Definitely not denying that this was probably pretty annoying for the receiving end, but it sure was a good time in the moment.

If you could say anything to your classmates what would you say?
Make sure you're proud of your work but don't forget to have fun outside of ENVD. Time management is key and something that I still haven't fully mastered, but it is probably the most essential skill you'll learn in school.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
I am applying for jobs with little success, but you know what they say, if you're not failing you're not trying hard enough!!! At least I think they say that.