CU-Boulder Emergency Management is a division of the CU-Boulder Police Department. Our primary function is to provide the planning and coordination of mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery of natural and man-made disasters occurring on or near the campuses of CU-Boulder. The work of emergency management is a cooperative effort among all aspects, departments, and divisions of the university including Police, Academics, Student Government, Facilities Management, Athletics, and local fire, law enforcement, and public safety agencies.
Charged with the responsibility to facilitate emergency management activities on campus, the division works with numerous campus departments and partners in the community to ensure an effective and efficient response to emergencies affecting the campus and its affiliates. Every day the Divison of Emergency Management and partners strive to provide the highest quality of service possible to our customers: the students, faculty, staff, affiliates, and visitors of the University of Colorado Boulder.
There are several different groups with specific roles in emergency management on campus:
Emergency Management Policy Group (EMPG)
The EMPG serves as an advisory board for the chancellor during emergencies and provides strategic guidance and recommendations. The EMPG is comprised of the following positions:
- CU-Boulder Chancellor
- Chief of Staff
- Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer
- Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Vice Chancellor for Development
- Vice Chancellor for Administration
- Vice Chancellor for Strategic Relations
- Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement
- Vice Chancellor for Research
- Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Information Technology and CIO
- Managing Senior Associate, University Counsel
- Athletic Director
- Chief of Police, CU Boulder Police Department
Emergency Management Operations Group (EMOG)
The EMOG is made up of representatives from the Boulder campus and emergency management partners in the community. EMOG meets on a quarterly basis to discuss and address campus emergency management issues and topics. As needed, EMOG will establish subcommittees and workgroups to address a particular emergency management issue or work product. EMOG meetings are not open to the public. However, if you or your organization is interested in attending an EMOG meeting, please contact Deon Pfenning.