Shay Adamo

Shay Adamo is following in the footsteps of a family full of educators and CU Boulder alumni as he looks forward to becoming a math teacher who helps his students unleash their creativity and kindness. 

Adamo has developed into an excellent educator through the disposition he brings to learning about the practice of teaching and his sincerity towards meeting the needs of students, and he has been selected at the 2023 outstanding graduate for the CU Teach program in the School of Education. Adamo has demonstrated a remarkable attitude towards learning about and implementing effective educational practices and strategies in his work, often going above and beyond to leverage and apply new ideas and approaches within math education, his faculty nominators noted. 

Additionally, Adamo has shown a genuine interest in understanding the needs of his students and then striving to ensure they have the supports they need to be successful. His disposition and experience with be a valuable asset to his school, students, and community, as he is committed to continuously learn, improve his practice, and find inspiration in his students.

“My passion for teaching is to help students unlock their strengths and spread the kindness that I know they all have,” he said. “I am inspired by them and want to work hard so that they can continue to inspire others like they do me.”

In his own words

Please tell us a bit about yourself

I grew up in a rural village just outside of Steamboat Springs. For me I was inspired to go to CU Boulder by my own teachers in Steamboat who expressed their love for the CU Boulder education program in an indescribable way. It made CU an easy choice for me. :)"

What is one of the lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter?

The CU Boulder education program gave me SO many opportunities to be in the classroom and meet different teachers. Through the step program I got to see all grade levels and gained more of and understanding about the ages I wanted to work with. And in the latter programs I got to experience so many different teaching styles first hand so that I could figure out what I wanted to do when I got my own classroom.”

What does graduating from CU Boulder represent for you and/or your community?

I come from family full of educators, and graduating from CU Boulder means that I can do what my grandma, aunts and uncles did before me. I feel so proud to be able to make a positive impact on the future generations of this world, just like they did.”

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

This can be a new beginning, try new experiences and put your heart into that which you love! The more you put in to your classes, clubs and adventures, the more impactful they will be on your future self. Cherish each memory and show kindness through it all.”

What continues to drive your passion for your work after graduation?

I became a teacher because I was inspired by the creativity, ingenuity and kindness that all children have within them. My passion for teaching is to help students unlock their strengths and spread the kindness that I know they all have. I am inspired by them and want to work hard so that they can continue to inspire others like they do me.”

Shay Adamo