Applications for Fall 2023 Are Now Open
The entire application must be submitted by December 1, 2022 for admittance into Fall 2023.
Applications are evaluated by the Chemistry Graduate Admissions Committee, comprised of faculty from each division within the Chemistry Dept. Individual faculty can make suggestions to the Admissions Committee but cannot admit applicants directly.
How to Apply
- Complete the Graduate Application
- CHEM specific info
- When filling out the application, you will be asked to select the chemistry division(s)/area(s) of interest and to choose one or more faculty of interest from those divisions. Select your prospective faculty advisor(s) from this list: https://www.colorado.edu/chemistry/people/faculty. This information is important to help the admissions committee evaluate your specific interests.
- Include a Statement of Intent (essay). The Statement of Intent may also be called the Personal Statement in the application. The admissions committee will review this statement as part of the evaluation process.
- We recommend that students have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
- Application fee - $60
The Graduate School offers application fee waivers for participants in the following programs: AmeriCorps (currently serving), Black in AI (BAI), Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD) Initiative, Gates Millennium Scholars, Leadership Alliance, Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program (LSSURP), Louis-Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP), Math Alliance Scholars, McNair Scholars Program, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program, Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Scholar Program, Peace Corps (currently serving), Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP), SMART, Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), and Teach for America. If you are affiliated with one of these programs, please send us proof of your affiliation to email@example.com after you have started an application and before you submit, and we will process your fee waiver for you.
If you are in the U.S. military you will receive an automatic fee waiver as a thank you for your service (active duty, veteran, previously served, and active reserve are all eligible for this automatic fee waiver).
If you are undocumented and/or a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) beneficiary, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about possible fee waivers.
- GRE Scores and Transcripts
- Scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test are no longer a required part of the application. Applicants who have already taken the GRE and wish to submit their scores may do so.
- Our Institution Code is #4841. The department code for GRE scores is no longer required by CU Boulder, however, if you need to input a code when you take the test, please use one of the following department codes for Chemistry: #0202, #0301, #0302, #0304, #0603, #0399.
- We require one copy of the transcript from each undergraduate institution. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, and extension programs. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of the length of attendance, and whether or not courses were completed. Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the university.
Instructions for Uploading UnOfficial Transcripts to your Application
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to Graduate Admissions or submitted online through the online application system as a .pdf document on official letterhead.
- Recommenders do not receive the online link to the recommendation form until after your application has been submitted. It is therefore recommended applications be submitted at least three weeks prior to the posted deadline so recommendation letters can be received by the application deadline.
All parts of the application must be submitted by December 1, 2022. Letters of recommendation must be received before the admissions committees can make their final decisions.
Please send any print materials, such as transcripts or letters of recommendation to the following address:
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0553
Applicants will be notified several weeks after the application deadline if any of these materials are missing. Notifications of acceptance or non-acceptance will be issued by mid-March.