Immigration documents and procedures can be a complicated bureaucratic challenge for non-U.S. students and scholars, but ISSS at CU Boulder and Career Services are here to help assist you with these procedures and policies. It is essential that you understand what work authorization is available to you and how the process works before you start working off campus. Attend a workshop or learn about the work authorization for your type of student visa (see links in box below).

Expect to educate your employer on your work authorization options as you look for either an internship or job. Help employers understand how easy it is for them to hire you while you’re on your student visa. There are a lot of misconceptions held by employers about the challenge of hiring international students. You can also refer potential employers to Career Services if they would like additional help.

Look for internships and jobs that are directly related to your major (not your minor) and will help you develop skills related to your program of study. Understand how to answer work authorization questions that are included on job applications. Meet with a career development advisor to learn more about finding an internship or job, writing a resume and cover letter, interviewing and more. You can make an appointment by using LiveChat.

Contact ISSS to discuss the CPT application process or to ask any questions regarding your immigration status.

Visas and work authorization resources

Employment Workshop Series (for International Students)
Attend workshops on CPT and OPT so that you are clear on the process of work authorization in the U.S.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
Additional, in-depth resources relating to immigration and requirements. As a current CU student, you will need the assistance of ISSS to obtain work authorization.

F-1 Visa Employment 
During your degree program, the F-1 visa status permits CPT and OPT authorization, meaning an internship or other practical training that is directly related to your major field of study.

J-1 Visa Employment
Off-campus employment for international students in J-1 status may be authorized by ISSS in the form of Academic Training (AT) and must be directly related to a student’s major field of study.

H1-B Visa Employment
The H1-B requires sponsorship from an employer and is generally used for full-time employment positions post-graduation.