Published: May 1, 2012 By

Dean Todd Gleeson

Dean Todd Gleeson

It is bittersweet as my time as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences draws to a close. I know I will miss the challenges, rewards and friendships that have come with this position. I know that my successor is more than capable for the job.

As an associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Steven Leigh has an impressive background of scholarship and administrative experience. I am confident that he can lead the College of Arts and Sciences as it surmounts challenges not yet foreseen with solutions not yet conceived.

A biological anthropologist, Leigh’s research focuses on both human and primate evolution and integrates many different kinds of data across the discipline of anthropology, including information from genetics, anatomy, archaeology and socio-cultural anthropology.

Prior to being the associate dean, Leigh was the head of the department of anthropology from 2006 to 2010. He is a full professor in biological anthropology and holds faculty appointments in the College of Medicine and the Institute for Genomic Biology.

As for me, I look forward to my own new ventures. I am returning to the Department of Integrative Physiology, and I am eager to resume teaching and research. I have also agreed to direct the new Health Professions Residential Academic Program, which debuts next fall. Finally, I will continue to serve the Elevations Credit Union Buffalo Bicycle Classic, which has raised $1.6 million in scholarship funds during its first decade.

Thank you again to all who have enriched my time in Old Main. It has been a great ride. (And speaking of rides, don’t forget to register for this year’s Buff Bike Classic.)

I would like to reassure the faculty, staff, alumni and donors that this transition of leadership will be seamless. Both Steven Leigh and I are committed to the excellence and integrity of the college and the university.

As I recede into the relative obscurity of the lecture hall and laboratory, I encourage you to rally behind our college’s new leader (and my new boss). As you know, the university’s symbol is a lamp in the hands of youth. As always, our future is bright.

Todd Gleeson, professor in the department of integrative physiology, was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at CU Boulder from 2002 to 2012.