Effective July 1, 2017, the College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Support Program will provide $1,500 per FTE annually to eligible faculty to support their professional activities, teaching, research, and creative work. To be eligible, faculty must be rostered, tenured/tenure track faculty in the college. Eligible faculty will receive funding irrespective of other university funds they may have available to them, including funds in sponsored grants and contracts.
(Revised July, 2018)
The following policy principles apply to the College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Support Program effective July 1, 2017. The Faculty Support Program will annually provide $1,500 per FTE to eligible faculty to support their professional activities, teaching, research, and creative work.
- To be eligible, faculty must be rostered, tenured/tenure track faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- A maximum of $1,500 per FTE will be provided annually to eligible faculty.
- Funding is proportionate to the percent of the faculty member’s appointment. A 100% appointment (1.0 FTE) is eligible for $1,500. A 50% appointment (.5 FTE) is eligible for $750.
- Eligible faculty will receive funding irrespective of other university funds they may have available to them, including funds in sponsored grants and contracts.
- Individual faculty can accumulate no more than $4,500 of Faculty Support Program funds.
- Example: If Professor X has accumulated a $4,000 balance in his Faculty Support Program speedtype, Professor X would receive an annual allocation of $500 to bring the balance to $4,500.
- Example: If Professor X has an accumulated balance of $3,000 or less, Professor X will receive $1,500.
- Faculty who have a TBE (Tenured Budgeted Elsewhere) appointment are not eligible.
- Example: Professor Z is tenured in Physics but her appointment is within an institute from which her salary is paid. Professor Z is, therefore, ineligible for program support.
- Faculty on a terminal contract are not eligible.
- Faculty on Leave Without Pay are not eligible.
- Eligible faculty will have a designated speedtype ($XQK) for Faculty Support Program funds.
- The $XQK speedtype can only hold Faculty Support Funds. No comingling of funds is allowed in this speedtype. Faculty Support Program funds cannot be transferred out of the $XQK speedtype to another speedtype. Funds other than Faculty Support Funds should not be transferred into the $XQK speedtype.
- To determine annual eligibility, the College of Arts and Sciences Budget Office will use faculty appointment data on the college roster after the academic year begins.
- The Budget Office will transfer funds to individual faculty $XQK speedtypes after the Campus Controllers Office has completed the prior fiscal year accounting, which occurs in late July. The college will transfer funds to faculty no later than the end of September.
- For faculty who depart the college before the close of the academic year, the allocation will be adjusted in proportion to the length of their appointment.
- When faculty step down permanently from their TTT appointment (e.g. retire, resign), any remaining positive fund balance will return to the college. The department is responsible for clearing a negative balance.
- The continuation of this program is contingent upon funds being available in the College of Arts and Sciences annual budget.