What is GEARRS?
GEARRS is an opportunity for you to experience our Mechanical Engineering Department through interactions with students and professors, and presentations about current research that we do here. It is important that you take advantage of this opportunity to connect with potential research advisors, and show what talents and experience you bring to the table.
Different events require different types of dress, so here is a guide of dress that should help in planning ahead:
On Wednesday evening:
- Welcome dinner: Dress is casual
- GEARRS event: Dress is business casual
- Evening reception: Dress is business casual
- Meeting with professors: Business Casual
- Outdoor Excursion (optional): Dress for a hike, nothing too challenging. Sneakers will work fine. Bring a light jacket. You may want to bring a change of clothes for when we get back to the department, it’s up to you. In the past, people have typically not changed after the hike. If the weather is bad we will skip the hike
Note on general items to bring: Bring a pair of waterproof shoes because there may be snow on the ground. Also make sure that you have good shoes to walk in because you will do a fair amount of walking around town, campus, and national labs.
Pick up from DIA:
A member of the GEARRS planning committee will be at the airport to pick you up.
Please ensure that when you RSVP to the event, you inform Vera of your travel itinerary so that we can pick you up on time!
Getting back to DIA:
Returning to the aiport after GEARRS, you are on your own. However, there are many extremely convenient and affordable options!
- The RTD Bus to DIA. Routes AB and ABA go from several locations in downtown Boulder (near the university and your hotel) directly to the airport terminals. The cost is 9.00 for one person, one way and must be given in exact change. See the following link for the schedule of times (Downtown Boulder Station is closest to hotel): http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?routeId=AB
- Uber or Lyft: If you hve either of these Apps, the cost is approximately 55.00. Depends on the time of day, the demand for drivers, and the size of car you need.
- GreenRide van service: This will pick you up at your hotel and drive you to the airport. Cost is 32.00 one way, and requires reservations. For more information: http://greenrideboulder.com/
In addition to having an awesome research university, and being a great place to live, Boulder is also home to many scientific research labs such as NIST, NREL, NCAR and NOAA. NREL has many full-scale wind turbine facilities, and NIST is best known for its 4 Nobel prize winners and for housing the atomic clock. Many faculty have collaborations at these institutions. While you are here visiting, you will be given an opportunity to tour these labs. See GEARRS schedule for time details.
Very helpful map of Downtown Boulder (shops, restaurants, etc.): http://www.boulderdowntown.com/_files/docs/tear-off-map-website-final_september-2015-(1).pdf
Walking directions and map from your hotel to the engineering center (about 1 mile): https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Boulder+University+Inn,+1632+Broadway,+Boulder,+CO+80302/Engineering+Center,+Engineering+Drive,+Boulder,+COemail@example.com,-105.2726098,16z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x876bec25789548d1:0xf1a0698d8aeeb77!2m2!1d-105.2779349!2d40.0136387!1m5!1m1!1s0x876bedcb99bb71b9:0xadccadbd9ea75dc7!2m2!1d-105.2627072!2d40.0071656!3e2
Click here for a Complete map of campus
Click here for a map of the Engineering Center