Published: Feb. 12, 2020
Haley MeTee

Where are you placed this year?

Boys Town National Research Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

The Boys Town externship is really amazing at making sure you, as a student, get a lot of experience doing various things. The first three months you are there, you focus on specific areas. For example the first month you do ABRs and Vestibular testing, the second month you do audiograms and hearing aids, and the third month you only do cochlear implants. After that, each week is full of all of those types of appointments! We also get the opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary craniofacial team--testing hearing for children that have craniofacial differences and hearing loss every week. Additionally, Boys Town has a multidisciplinary cochlear implant team, so you get to be apart of that as well as the team discusses candidacy and updates on patients every week. At Boys Town, you basically get to see every type of appointment--it really is a great fourth year placement! Side note: Omaha is a really fun place to live with SO much to do and lots of good food! I've really enjoyed living here :)

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

For the first three years of grad school, I thought I only wanted to work with children. After being at Boys Town (which is 50/50), I think I want to work at a clinic that has a good balance between the two. That is what is so great about Boys Town--you are exposed to everything and try new things all of the time.