June 12-16 (Online registration closes June 2. Call 303-492-7188 to register after this date.)
Location: Fleming Building
July 10-14 (Online registration closes June 30. Call 303-492-7188 to register after this date.)
Location: Fleming Building
Note: Morning and afternoon camps can be combined to create a full-day experience. If your child is registered for both a morning and afternoon camp at the same location, Science Discovery staff will provide lunchtime supervision.
What if Earth had no moon? What if our sun were colder? Join us for a week exploring imaginative worlds and astronomy scenarios using a special Minecraft Java Edition server with tools for simulating science discovery and design. We'll learn all about space as we investigate the scientific consequences of alternative versions of Earth by asking "what if?" questions, like "What if the Earth were a moon?" We'll use our new knowledge and our Minecraft design skills to design a Minecraft base for exploring Mars and project our designs on the Fiske Planetarium dome!
CU Boulder employs a framework for public health and COVID-19 decision-making that follows Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance. While masks are optional on the CU Boulder campus, we encourage those who prefer to do so to continue wearing them. Properly fitted N95 or KN95 masks remain an effective tool for preventing transmission, especially in conjunction with vaccination. Students, parents and staff are encouraged to stay home if they are feeling sick or have COVID-like symptoms.
Feeling under the weather? You should begin isolation at home as soon as you:
- Begin to experience symptoms that may be related to COVID-19.
- Receive a positive test result for COVID-19, regardless of whether you have symptoms.
- Have been instructed to isolate by a healthcare provider or public health staff member.
When considering policy changes around COVID-19 transmission prevention, CU Science Discovery will adhere to all campus, county and Public Health guidelines. (Updated February 2023)
What to Bring: While at Science Discovery, participants are expected to store their personal belongings in their backpack. Space is limited so please limit the number of personal items brought from home. All items should be labeled with the participant’s first and last name in case an item is misplaced. Please send your child with the following each day:
- A backpack (sized to fit your child) for carrying personal items and any camp materials they will be bringing home
- Filled water bottle(s)
- 1-2 snacks, depending on the child's needs
- A sack lunch that does not require refrigeration (lunch is only required if your child will be at Science Discovery for a full day)
- Closed-toed shoes
- A hair tie to hold back lengthy hair, if applicable
- All camps spend a portion of each day outside. Please send your child with clothing appropriate for the daily forecasted weather (jacket, sweatshirt, rain poncho, etc.)
- A mask or any additional Personal Protective Equipment the child wishes to utilize
- Full set of extra clothes in a Ziploc bag
Grade Policy: CU Science Discovery serves students in grades K-12. Careful consideration is used to determine grade levels for all camps and classes. To provide the highest quality experience for all participants, it is necessary to adhere to the specified grade range for all camps and classes.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy: Science Discovery has designed its cancellation policy to minimize the number of camp and class spots that are unused due to last-minute cancellations. Cancellations made more than 30 days prior to the start of the camp/class will incur a $35 administrative fee. No refunds will be given for cancellations made within 30 days of the start of the camp/class. In the event that a camp/class is cancelled by Science Discovery, registrants will receive a full refund. Transfer requests made up to 30 days prior to the start of a camp/class will incur a $15 administrative fee. Transfer requests made within 30 days of the the start of a camp/class will incur a $35 administrative fee.