Professor of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering • PhD University of Washington 1987
Glaciology, continuum mechanics, heat transfer, analysis and numerical methods
- Glacier physics, including ice mechanics and glacier dynamics.
- Heat and mass transfer in snow and ice.
- Atmosphere/glacier and ocean/glacier interactions.
- Analysis and modeling of iceberg calving dynamics of tidewater glaciers and ice streams.
- Determination of the internal velocity field in ice.
- Reconstruction of Late Wisconsin advances of ice in the Hudson Strait region.
- Mechanics and thermodynamics of continuous media.
- Fluid dynamics.
- Finite element and finite different methods in analysis of heat transfer and mechanics of continuous media.
- Computer graphics.
- Experimental methods in snow hydrology.