Through your association with CU Boulder, you have access to free memberships. You are automatically a member of the Postdoctoral Association of Colorado Boulder (PAC Boulder). If you would like to serve as a member of the PAC steering committee, please send and email to email@example.com.
National Postdoc Association
The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) provides advocacy and toolkits for postdocs, mentors and institutions. To sign up, click on this link and follow the registration process. Once you click “Submit” the NPA Membership Manager will review your Affiliate membership within five working days, and you will receive an email when it has been approved.
As an NPA Affiliate Member, you are entitled to these benefits:
- to NPA e-alerts, a periodic news announcement, and The POSTDOCket, the NPA’s official monthly newsletter
- Reduced registration fees to the NPA Annual Conference & eligibility for the NPA travel award program
- Access to members-only NPA web content, such as career planning resources and policy information
- Access to NPA member groups to connect & network with fellow NPA members
- Discounts to some services and products.
- Opportunities to serve and contribute your expertise on a variety of NPA committees
- National representation on postdoctoral issues
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, Career Services, the Graduate School, and CIRES have partnered to offer postdoctoral associates and fellows across campus access to Versatile PhD. Versatile PhD is the largest online community dedicated to non-academic and non-faculty careers for PhDs in the humanities, social sciences, and STEM.
All postdoctoral associates and fellows on campus have access to the gamut of Versaitile PhD offerings to:
- Read inspiring first-person stories by experienced non-academic PhDs.
- Learn about many non-academic career options and explore them in-depth.
- See authentic examples of résumés and cover letters from PhDs who secured their first jobs away from faculty track.
- Become part of a thriving, supportive online community where you can participate in discussions and network with PhDs outside the academy.
- Attend local meetups to further develop relationships to help get your post-academic career started.
- Take professional development courses specific for PhDs.
- Log in to Handshake
- Go to the Career Center tab (at the top of the page)
- Click on Resources
- Open the Versatile PhD article, click setup my account
- Register for your free premium account
Once you have been authenticated through Handshake, you may login here.
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
The National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD) is a mentoring community designed to help faculty make a successful transition from postdoc to professor. NCFDD offers a variety of trainings, courses, webinars, writing programs, and other online resources for professional development and career success. An overview of offerings is below.
- Core Curriculum - 10 key skills necessary to thrive in the academy.
- Resource Library - over 130 webinars with topics ranging from academic publishing to healthy relationships in academia.
- 14-Day Writing Challenge - register for our upcoming challenge to experiment with daily writing, online community, and supportive accountability.
All CU Boulder faculty, postdocs, and graduate students are encouraged to utilize this resource.
To discover what NCFDD can do for you, follow these two simple steps:
- Activate your membership by clicking here and entering your information;
- Once your account is activated, you can review and register for events, courses, and webinars.
Association for Women in Science
CU Boulder is an institutional partner of the Association for Women in Science (AWIS). AWIS is the largest multidisciplinary organization for women in STEM dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. AWIS reaches more than 100,000 professionals in STEM around the world.
AWIS is a testament to CU Boulder's support of diversity in STEM. AWIS provides undergraduate/graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and faculty with professional development and leadership training to foster success.
As a result of CU Boulder’s partnership with AWIS, all interested undergraduate/graduate students and postdoctoral scholars enrolled in a STEM program are eligible to receive a one year FREE membership in AWIS. All you need to do is follow the steps below to sign up:
1. Go to www.awis.org/cuboulder
2. Indicate if you are an institutional (postdoc) or collegiate (undergrad/grad) “rep”
3. Set up user name and put in first and last name
4. Click on “accept this membership” and continue
5. Complete the registration form and submit
AWIS Membership Benefits
As an AWIS member you have access to a number of programs and services:
- AWIS Magazine, our award-winning magazine – covering research, workplace trends, career advancement and our work in Washington, DC.
- Washington Wire, our monthly e-newsletter providing a digest of “hot-topic” articles covering careers, education, science and technology work-life satisfaction, health, events and opportunities.
- The AWIS Insider, our monthly e-newsletter providing updates on AWIS initiatives, programs and services as well as our advocacy efforts.
- Exposure to a variety of career opportunities in industry, government, non-profit and academia through the AWIS Career Center.
- Leadership and talent development training through our live and on-demand webinars.
- Your local chapter or affiliate group which is the AWIS Boulder Affiliate Group – where you can interact with other AWIS members and expand your network. Join today at https://www.awis.org/project/boulder-affiliate-group/
AWIS Chapters and Affiliates
Women form their own professional (and nonprofessional) organizations to:
- Work for the achievement of equal opportunities and rights in reaching their professional goals
- Promote, recognize, and act on women's perspectives in the professional fields
- Train women in the administrative and political aspects of their professions
- Promote consciousness arousal among the women of a particular group
Additional information regarding chapters and affiliates may be found on the AWIS website at www.awis.org.
Other Membership Opportunities
The Colorado BioScience Association (CBSA) offers networking events, seminars and workshops to its members.