There is no such thing as a “standard lease.” Never sign a lease if you don’t understand a clause or have questions about your responsibilities. Remember – once you sign, it’s almost always too late to ask questions and change any of the provisions.

Free Lease Review

Schedule an Appointment

Attorney Bruce Sarbaugh will tell you the good and the bad. Want to know if your landlord can actually require you do that? Think the late fees are unreasonable? Find out from a lawyer.

  • Schedule an appointment: 303-492-7053. Please note that the attorney is only available on Tuesdays and Fridays. 
  • Students must be present at the appointment. Families and roommates can attend at the student's request.
  • Come with your student ID, a copy of your lease and a list of your roommates 

Other Rental Legal Advice

Is your roommate not paying their fair share of rent? Landlord hasn’t come in to repair your stove? Don’t worry, you have rights and Bruce will tell you your legal options.

Attorney Bruce Sarbaugh provides free legal advice through Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations. Free legal advice is ONLY available for currently enrolled fee-paying CU students (CU faculty and staff are unable to use this service as it is funded directly through student fees.) Parents of currently enrolled students may be part of the conversation, but must be accompanied by their student, as this is a learning process supported by student fees.

Security deposit disputes

If you disagree with the amount returned on your security deposit, you can seek the assistance of the Landlord Tenant Advisory Board (LTAB). LTAB will review your case and issue a formal opinion letter to you and your landlord.

Note: Payment of interest on security deposits is a legal requirement for all properties in the City of Boulder. 

Other legal resources

If you are a CU student and need legal consultation or advice on other legal concerns such as criminal matters, traffic violations including DUIs, or consumer rights concerns, contact Student Legal Services at 303-492-6813, or visit the Student Legal Services website for additional information.