Exit to Community (E2C) is an effort to develop alternatives to the standard model of the startup "exit." Rather than simply aiming for an acquisition by a more established company or a public stock offering, could startups aim to mature into ownership by their community of stakeholders? Through policy research, popular education, and partnership with interested startups, MEDLab is exploring pathways for making the answer a yes.
The E2C zine, Exit to Community: A Community Primer, is now available for free, digitally and in print. Get a copy here.
- Nathan Schneider, "Exit to Community," Noema (August 27, 2020)
- Jennifer Brandel, Astrid Scholz, Mara Zepeda and Nathan Schneider, "Meetup to the People: How a Zebra could Rise from a Unicorn’s Fall" (November 5, 2019)
- Nathan Schneider, "Startups Need a New Option: Exit to Community," Hacker Noon (September 16, 2019)
- Tech New Deal: Policies for Community-Owned Platforms
- Exit to Community: Strategies for Multi-Stakeholder Ownership in the Platform Economy
- Digital Kelsoism: Employee Stock Ownership as a Pattern for the Online Economy
- Broad-Based Stakeholder Ownership in Journalism: ESOPs, Co-ops, Blockchains