Professor Summers is the co-author of four books, over 100 peer-reviewed publications, over 200 conference proceeding articles or book chapters and over 300 presentations.
Recent peer-reviewed publications (last 5 years)
- Shimabuku, K.K., Kennedy, A.M., Mulhern, R.E. & Summers, R.S. “Evaluating activated carbon adsorption of DOM and micropollutants using fluorescence spectroscopy.” Environ. Sci. Technol, 51 (5), 2676-2684 (2017). DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.6b04911
- Hohner, A., Terry, P.L., Townsend*, E., Summers, R.S. & Rosario-Ortiz, F.L. “Water treatment process evaluation of wildfire-affected sediment leachates.” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3 (2): 352-365 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/C6EW00247A.
- Kennedy, A.M., Reinert, A.M., Knappe D.R.U. & Summers, R.S. “Prediction of Full-Scale GAC Adsorption of Organic Micropollutants.” Environmental Engineering Science, 34(7): 496-507 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1089/ees.2016.0525
- Shimabuku K.K., Paige* J.M., Luna-Aguero* M. & Summers R.S. "Simplified Modeling of Organic Contaminant Adsorption by Activated Carbon and Biochar in the Presence of Dissolved Organic Matter and Other Competing Adsorbates." Environ. Sci. Technol, 51 (17) 10031-10040 (2017).
- Mulhern, R., Dickenson, E. & Summers, R.S. “Evaluating and modeling the activated carbon adsorption of wastewater-derived N-nitrosodimethylamine precursors” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 3 (5), 844-856 (2017). DOI: 10.1039/C7EW00123A.
- Thompson, K.A., Summers, R.S. & Cook, S.M. "Development and experimental validation of the composition and treatability of a new synthetic bathroom greywater (SynGrey)." Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology. 3(6), 1120-1131(2017). DOI:10.1039/C7EW00304H..
- Seidel C.J., Samson C.C., Bartrand T., Ergul A., & Summers R.S. "Disinfection Byproduct Occurrence at Large Water Systems after Stage 2 DBPR." J. Amer. Water Works Assoc. 109 (7), 17-30 (2017).
- Samson C.C., Seidel C.J., Summers R.S., & Bartrand T. "Assessment of HAA9 Occurrence and THM, HAA Speciation in the United States." J. Amer. Water Works Assoc. 109 (7), 288-301 (2017).
- Uleau, J., Summers, R.S. (2017), Revised Third year assessment of a student-based mentorship program for first-year environmental engineering students, Proceedings First-Year Engineering Experience (FYEE) Conference, August 6 – August 8, 2017, Daytona FL.
- Hohner, A. K., Cawley, K., Oropeza, J., Summers, R. S., & Rosario-Ortiz, F. L. (2016). Drinking water treatment response following a Colorado wildfire. Water Research, 105, 187-198.
- Samson, C. C., Rajagopalan, B., & Summers, R. S. (2016). Modeling Source Water TOC Using Hydroclimate Variables and Local Polynomial Regression. Environmental Science & Technology, 50(8), 4413-4421.
- Kempisty, D. M., & Summers, R. S. (2016). Effect of Influent Groundwater Quality on Adsorption of Low Concentrations of 1, 2 Dichloroethane by Granular Activated Carbon. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 142(12), 04016064.
- Shimabuku, K. K., Kearns, J. P., Martinez*, J. E., Mahoney, R. B., Moreno-Vasquez*, L., & Summers, R. S. (2016). Biochar sorbents for sulfamethoxazole removal from surface water, stormwater, and wastewater effluent. Water Research, 96, 236-245.
- Thompson, K. A., Shimabuku, K. K., Kearns, J. P., Knappe, D. R., Summers, R. S., & Cook, S. M. (2016). Environmental Comparison of Biochar and Activated Carbon for Tertiary Wastewater Treatment. Environmental Science & Technology, 50(20), 11253-11262.
- Summers, R.S., Finau-Starkey, L. (2016), Work-in-Progress – Development of a student-based mentorship program for first-year environmental engineering students, 2016 Proceedings First-Year Engineering Experience (FYEE) Conference, Columbus, OH.
- Kennedy, A.M., A.M. Reinert, D.R.U. Knappe, I. Ferrer, and R.S. Summers, “Full- and pilot-scale GAC adsorption of organic micropollutants,” Water Research, 68 (1), 238-248 (2015).
- Kearns J, Shimabuku KK, Mahoney RB, Knappe DRU, Summers RS., “Meeting multiple water quality objectives through treatment using locally generated char: Improving organoleptic properties and removing synthetic organic contaminants and disinfection byproducts,” Journal of Water Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 5 (3), 359-372 (2015).
- Kearns J. P., Knappe D. R.U., and Summers R.S., “Feasibility of Using Traditional Kiln Charcoals in Low-Cost Water Treatment: Role of Pyrolysis Conditions on 2,4-D Herbicide Adsorption,” Environmental Engineering Science, (11) 912-921 (2015).
- Kennedy, A.M and R. S. Summers, “Effect of DOM Size on Organic Micropollutant Adsorption by GAC,” Environmental Science & Technology, (11) 6617–6624 (2015).
- Saunders, J.F.. Hohner, A.K.. Summers, R.S. Rosario-Ortiz, F.L., “Regulating Chlorophyll a to Control DBP Precursors in Water Supply Reservoirs,” J. Amer. Water Works Assoc., 107 (11), E603-E612 (2015).
- Zearley, T. and R.S. Summers, “MIB and 2,4-D Removal by Biofilters During Episodic Loading,” J. Amer. Water Works Assoc., 107 (12), E1-E9 (2015).
- Korak, JA, Rosario-Ortiz, FL and Summers, RS, “Evaluation of optical surrogates for the characterization of DOM removal by coagulation,” Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol., 1, 493-506 (2015).
- Korak, J.A., A.D. Dotson, R.S. Summers, and F.L. Rosario-Ortiz, “Critical analysis of commonly used fluorescence metrics to characterize dissolved organic matter,” Water Research, 49 (1) 327-338 (2014).
- Kearns, J.P., L.S. Wellborn, R.S. Summers, and D.R.U. Knappe, “2,4-D adsorption to biochars: Effect of preparation conditions on equilibrium adsorption capacity and comparison with commercial activated carbon literature data.” Water Research, 62 (1) 20-28 (2014).
- Kearns, J.P., D.R.U. Knappe, and R.S. Summers, “Synthetic organic water contaminants in developing communities: an overlooked challenge addressed by adsorption with locally generated char,” Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 4 (3) 422–436 (2014).
- Shimabuku, K.K., H. Cho, E. Townsend*, F.L. Rosario-Ortiz, R.S. Summers, “Modeling non-equilibrium adsorption of MIB and sulfamethoxazole by powdered activated carbon and the role of dissolved organic matter competition,” Environmental Science & Technology, 48 (23), 13735–13742 (2014).
- Korak, J.A.; Rosario-Ortiz, F.L.; Summers, R.S., “Fluorescence characterization of humic substance coagulation: Application of new tools to an old process,” In Advances in the Physicochemical Characterization of Organic Matter; Rosario-Ortiz, F.L., Ed; ACS Symposium Series 1160; American Chemical Society: Washington DC, pp 281-300 (2014).
- Arias, S.A., Summers, R.S. “Fate of Characterized and Uncharacterized Halogenated Organic Matter during Coagulation of Natural Waters with Chlorine or Chlorine Dioxide Application,” In Advances in the Physicochemical Characterization of Organic Matter; Rosario-Ortiz, F.L., Ed; ACS Symposium Series 1160; American Chemical Society: Washington DC (2014).
- Summers, R. S., Shimabuku, K., Zearley, T., "A Review of Biologically-Based Drinking Water Treatment Processes for Organic Micropollutant Removal," In Progress in Slow Sand and Alternative Biofiltration Processes – Further Developments and Applications, IWA Book, M. Collins and N. Graham editors (2014).
- Bielefeldt, A.R., M. W. Stewart, E. Mansfield*, R.S. Summers, J.N. Ryan. “Effects of chlorine and other water quality parameters on the release of silver nanoparticles from a ceramic surface,” Water Research, 47(12), 4032-4039 (2013).
- Beggs, K.H.M., Billica, J.A., Korak, J., Rosario-Ortiz, F., McKnight, D.M. and Summers, R.S.: “Spectral evaluation of watershed DOM and DBP precursors,” J. Amer. Water Works Assoc., 105(4) E173-E188 (2013).
- Towler, E., Rajagopalan, B., Yates, D., Rodriguez, A., Summers, R.S. “Integrated Approach to Simulate Stream Water Quality for Municipal Supply under a Changing Climate,” J. Environ. Eng., 139 (12), 1432–1440 (2013).
- Summers, R.S., Kim, S.M., Shimabuku, K., Chae, S.H., Corwin, C.J., “Granular activated carbon adsorption of MIB in the presence of dissolved organic matter.,” Water Research, 47(10), 3507-3513 (2013).
- Haagenson, E., Rajagopalan, B., Summers, R.S., Roberson, A., “Projecting Demand Extremes under Climate Change Using Extreme Value Analysis,” J. Amer. Water Works Assoc., 105 (2) E40-50 (2013).