|Zeiss X-Ray Microscopy & Micro/Nano-Computed Tomography||NSF Major Research Instrumentation Award# 1726864: “MRI: Acquisition of a 4D High-Resolution X-Ray Micro-Computed Tomography System for the Rocky Mountain Region”||"This work was supported, in part, by the U.S. National Science Foundation (Award No. CMMI-1726864)"|
|Nanoindenter and/or Raman Spectroscopy||NSF Major Research Instrumentation Award# 1338154: “MRI Acquisition: An integrated platform for combined multi-scale mechanical and chemical analysis to inform functional materials design”||"This work was supported, in part, by the U.S. National Science Foundation (Award No. CBET-1338154)"|
|MIMIC Facility||The facility as a whole is referenced via RRID:SCR_019307||"Analyses were performed at MIMIC, CU Boulder (RRID:SCR_019307)"|
1. Schoonraad, S. A. et al. Biomimetic and mechanically supportive 3D printed scaffolds for cartilage and osteochondral tissue engineering using photopolymers and digital light processing. Biofabrication 13, 044106 (2021).
2. Badran, A., Clemenceau, T., Andriamady, N., Marshall, D. & Raj, R. Current constriction of Li-ion transport across lithium metal–ceramic electrolyte interface: Imaged with X-ray Tomography. MRS Communications 11, 283–287 (2021).
3. Gevaudan, J. P., Santa-Ana, B. & Srubar, W. V. Iron mineral admixtures improve the sulfuric acid resistance of low-calcium alkali-activated cements. Cement and Concrete Composites 116, 103867 (2021).
4. Pack, R. C. et al. Carbon Fiber and Syntactic Foam Hybrid Materials via Core–Shell Material Extrusion Additive Manufacturing. Advanced Materials Technologies 5, 2000731 (2020).
5. Wilmoth, R. L., Ferguson, V. L. & Bryant, S. J. A 3D, Dynamically Loaded Hydrogel Model of the Osteochondral Unit to Study Osteocyte Mechanobiology. Advanced Healthcare Materials 9, 2001226 (2020).
6. Frazier, S. D. et al. Inhibiting Freeze-Thaw Damage in Cement Paste and Concrete by Mimicking Nature’s Antifreeze. Cell Reports Physical Science 1, 100060 (2020).
7. Kegelman, C. D. et al. YAP and TAZ Mediate Osteocyte Perilacunar/Canalicular Remodeling. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 35, 196–210 (2020).
8. Zhang, Y. & Hubler, M. Role of Early Drying Cracks in the Shrinkage Size Effect of Cement Paste. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 146, 04020128 (2020).
9. Yu, Y. et al. Rabbit Model of Physeal Injury for the Evaluation of Regenerative Medicine Approaches. Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods 25, 701–710 (2019).
10. Eberle, J. J. et al. Northernmost record of the Metatheria: a new Late Cretaceous pediomyid from the North Slope of Alaska. Journal of Systematic Palaeontology 17, 1805–1824 (2019).
11. Frazier, S., Aday, A. & Srubar, W. On-Demand Microwave-Assisted Fabrication of Gelatin Foams. Molecules 23, 1121 (2018).
1. Barthold, J. E. et al. Recellularization and Integration of Dense Extracellular Matrix by Percolation of Tissue Microparticles. Advanced Functional Materials 31, 2103355 (2021).
2. Park, D. J., Supekar, O. D., Greenberg, A. R., Gopinath, J. T. & Bright, V. M. Real-time monitoring of calcium sulfate scale removal from RO desalination membranes using Raman spectroscopy. Desalination 497, 114736 (2021).
3. Sinha, J., Podgórski, M., Tomaschke, A., Ferguson, V. L. & Bowman, C. N. Phototriggered Base Amplification for Thiol-Michael Addition Reactions in Cross-linked Photopolymerizations with Efficient Dark Cure. Macromolecules 53, 6331–6340 (2020).
4. Supekar, O. D., Park, D. J., Greenberg, A. R., Gopinath, J. T. & Bright, V. M. Real-time detection of early-stage calcium sulfate and calcium carbonate scaling using Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Membrane Science 596, 117603 (2020).
5. Supekar, O. D., Brown, J. J., Greenberg, A. R., Gopinath, J. T. & Bright, V. M. Real-Time Detection of Reverse-Osmosis Membrane Scaling via Raman Spectroscopy. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 57, 16021–16026 (2018).
6. Liang, L. et al. Rational Control of Calcium Carbonate Precipitation by Engineered Escherichia coli. ACS Synthetic Biology 7, 2497–2506 (2018).
1. Uzcategui, A. C. et al. Microscale Photopatterning of Through‐Thickness Modulus in a Monolithic and Functionally Graded 3D‐Printed Part. Small Science 1, 2000017 (2021).
2. Hess, K. M., Heveran, C. M. & Srubar, W. V. A computational approach to design moisture-resistant wood polymer composites. Materials Today Communications 25, 101594 (2020).
3. Abad, B. et al. Nondestructive Measurements of the Mechanical and Structural Properties of Nanostructured Metalattices. Nano Letters 20, 3306–3312 (2020).
4. Wahlquist, J. A. et al. Indentation mapping revealed poroelastic, but not viscoelastic, properties spanning native zonal articular cartilage. Acta Biomaterialia 64, 41–49 (2017).
5. MacDonald, G. A. et al. Determination of the True Lateral Grain Size in Organic–Inorganic Halide Perovskite Thin Films. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9, 33565–33570 (2017).
6. Aziz, A. H. et al. Mechanical characterization of sequentially layered photo-clickable thiol-ene hydrogels. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 65, 454–465 (2017).
7. Baranowski, L. L., Heveran, C. M., Ferguson, V. L. & Stoldt, C. R. Multi-Scale Mechanical Behavior of the Li 3 PS 4 Solid-Phase Electrolyte. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8, 29573–29579 (2016).
8. Heveran, C. M. et al. Moderate chronic kidney disease impairs bone quality in C57Bl/6J mice. Bone 86, 1–9 (2016).
Raman and Nanoindenter
1. Eckstein, K. N. et al. The heterogeneous mechanical properties of adolescent growth plate cartilage: A study in rabbit. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 128, 105102 (2022).
2. Fischenich, K. M. et al. Human articular cartilage is orthotropic where microstructure, micromechanics, and chemistry vary with depth and split-line orientation. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 28, 1362–1372 (2020).
3. Heveran, C. M. et al. Engineered Ureolytic Microorganisms Can Tailor the Morphology and Nanomechanical Properties of Microbial-Precipitated Calcium Carbonate. Scientific Reports 9, 14721 (2019).
4. Heveran, C. M. et al. Chronic kidney disease and aging differentially diminish bone material and microarchitecture in C57Bl/6 mice. Bone 127, 91–103 (2019).
1. Aziz, A. H., Wilmoth, R. L., Ferguson, V. L. & Bryant, S. J. IDG-SW3 Osteocyte Differentiation and Bone Extracellular Matrix Deposition Are Enhanced in a 3D Matrix Metalloproteinase-Sensitive Hydrogel. ACS Applied Bio Materials 3, 1666–1680 (2020).
2. Heveran, C. M. et al. Biomineralization and Successive Regeneration of Engineered Living Building Materials. Matter 2, 481–494 (2020).
3. Aisenbrey, E. A. et al. Assessment and prevention of cartilage degeneration surrounding a focal chondral defect in the porcine model. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 514, 940–945 (2019).
4. Uzcategui, A. C., Muralidharan, A., Ferguson, V. L., Bryant, S. J. & McLeod, R. R. Understanding and Improving Mechanical Properties in 3D printed Parts Using a Dual-Cure Acrylate-Based Resin for Stereolithography. Advanced Engineering Materials 20, 1800876 (2018).
5. Aisenbrey, E. A. et al. A Stereolithography-Based 3D Printed Hybrid Scaffold for In Situ Cartilage Defect Repair. Macromolecular Bioscience 18, 1–8 (2018).
6. Brown, J. J., Mettler, R. C., Supekar, O. D. & Bright, V. M. Nonlinear Mechanics of Interlocking Cantilevers. Journal of Applied Mechanics 84, 1–12 (2017).