Published: Oct. 18, 2022

The University of Colorado Boulder Program in Environmental Design has announced the recipient of the 2022 Environmental Design Alumni Awards. This year’s honoree for the Young Designer Award is Jordan Lockner. 

The Environmental Design Alumni Awards honor individuals who have demonstrated leadership and made significant contributions to the design and architectural professions.

Join us in presenting the Young Designer Award during the Colloquium Lecture Series on Tuesday, Oct. 25, at 3:30 p.m. in GOLD A2B70 in the Gold Biosciences Building. On Wednesday, Oct. 26, please join us from 8-9 a.m. for an alumni open house to meet with Jordan, reconnect with classmates and engage with current students. Walk through the ENVD Gallery to view exhibited student work. Light breakfast snacks will be provided.

Jordan LocknerYoung Designer Awardee: 

"It is hard to recall my time in the Environmental Design program without reliving the countless hours and memories spent in the studio. The atmosphere of so many dedicated, passionate individuals working so hard, yet still enjoying the process was, and always will be, unforgettable. It became a second home. So many nights were spent taking shifts sleeping at the computers, bandaging cuts from X-acto knives suffered while model making and exploring new and different mediums.  All while unknowingly building lifelong friendships that would outlast the years spent at CU Boulder. That teamwork and collaboration has really driven my outlook and passion as I continue to pursue architecture in a professional environment in my practice. One memory that stands out relates to my final project for my green technology class. In it, I was able to combine my passion for architecture and design with my passion for hockey.

From an early age, I spent a majority of my free time at the ice rink playing hockey and was able to acquire quite a collection of wood hockey sticks and other hockey materials. This collection continued to grow as I played on the CU hockey team, and my green technology class provided an opportunity to reuse it creatively for my final project. With the encouragement of my professor, I pushed the limits of a typical desk design and added my own story and twist. The story and desk were eventually published in the national USA Hockey magazine and is still a family favorite that is used to this day."

Jordan Lockner, AIA, graduated from the University of Colorado Program in Environmental Design in 2013. He is currently the Principal Architect at his firm, Collab Architecture based in Northern Colorado. He has experience in a variety of project types, including municipal, education, hospitality, healthcare, and residential architecture. Jordan has always enjoyed finding creative solutions to difficult and complex problems. He approaches architecture in a very similar manner, working to make every project both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Jordan believes that the root of all good architecture must support the community that it exists within. He has been heavily involved in many community outreach events, including sitting on the AIA Colorado Board of Directors as the Associate Director in 2018, and mentoring young professionals through programs such as ACE Mentorship. His passion for architecture directly stems from his personal experiences, and his understanding that every project should have a positive and lasting impact on a community.