Sofija Andrew, an architecture major graduating with a Spanish and creative technology design minor, plans to travel to South America to help with sustainable building infrastructure while waiting to hear back from the Peace Corps.

Sofija AndrewI’m glad that through studio we get the chance to be better friends in the ways other majors don’t cultivate.

Where are you from?
Boulder Colorado

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD.
I’ve been really involved in a student leadership team for media and marketing of a group called the Annex, and work for CU in the Mind.Body.Voice program.

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
I went into CU undeclared and took the intro to Environmental Design class on a whim as an elective. I fell in love with the topics and realized I could combine a lot of things I was good at. Also a guy I interviewed for one time told me to never become an architect, and here we are.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
You can spend your life working or you can spend it living. As architecture students, we are overworking all the time. But I found a good balance between work and real life at CU and I want to carry that with me forever because I think you can have both.

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Use the laser cutter whenever you can.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
Going to the Lama Foundation in New Mexico with my capstone studio and digging a foundation all weekend. It was so painful but rewarding.

What does graduating from college represent for you?
Moving on and up. Life is only getting started.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
I’ve applied to the Peace Corps, and until then I plan to go to South America to help with sustainable building infrastructure there.