Published: March 23, 2021

Dear students, faculty and staff, 

It has been a tragic day in Boulder and I hope that all of you, your families, and your friends are safe. It is at this time that it is important to remember to reach out to family and friends and let them know you are thinking of them. A simple hello can mean a lot right now. There aren’t words that can answer why these events happen. There will be time for that. Right now, know that all of the ENVD faculty and staff want to do whatever they can to assist you through this and are thinking of all of you and your families.

As you receive words of encouragement, support and resources from campus entities, your family and your friends, I want you to know that the ENVD community is also here for you. 

This is a time when isolation can be hard. I wish I could walk around to each of you and let you know that everything is going to be OK. Words are not a great substitute, but I hope you can feel the caring that is coming from these words from me, the ENVD community, your friends, and your family. We are going to process this together and try to help each other through it.

I suspect that it will be a rough couple of days. I have communicated to faculty to be flexible as students are going to be experiencing stress and grief just as all of us are.

Sincerely,
Paul

If you were impacted by what happened yesterday––or if you are experiencing anxiety, stress and grief related to the shootings in the Atlanta area and other acts of violence around the country in recent weeks––please seek support from campus resources.

Campus resources include the Office of Victim Assistance (OVA), which offers 24/7 phone support for students, faculty and staff; Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), which offers 24/7 phone support for students; and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP).

ENVD students can also reach out directly to our in-house CAPS provider, Melissa Bottiglio.

More traumatic event support & resources