Portrait of Christian

Christian is from Fort Collins, Colorado. He works at the Digital Media Center and enjoys urban exploration and photography. One piece of advice he’d give incoming students is “to not hold back, be yourself and go for it.”  

Photography by ChristianWhere are you from?
I'm from Fort Collins, Colorado.

What year of study are you in?
I’m a freshman.

Why did you choose CU Boulder?
I originally wanted to go out of state, just to try something different, but ENVD was actually the reason I decided on CU Boulder. It’s a super unique program and it combines everything that I want to learn about.  

Why were you drawn to the Program in Environmental Design?
I originally wanted to study engineering, but everything changed senior year of high school. I started doing some architecture and planning projects on my own, and realized that’s really what I want to do with my life. I did a tour of the ENVD program, before I knew much about it , and that decided it for me. I thought, "yup, this is where I want to be."

Photography by Christian

What do you like most about your major?
I really like the community. Many of my friends from high school, who go to CU Boulder as well, are scattered around different majors. ENVD is unique in the fact that we have a strong sense of community and everybody gets to bond over late nights in the studio, working on the same types of projects and just supporting each other.

How would you describe your first semester?
It was tough but definitely worth it. I stayed up a lot later and a lot more often than I ever expected. I learned a lot, even in the first couple of weeks. I gained some incredible skills that I didn’t think I would learn until a couple of years in. It was definitely a challenge, but fun too and just great all together.

How do you stay involved on campus?
I have a job at the Digital Media Center, and I am also involved in EDSG, which stands for Environmental Design Student Government. On top of that, I just joined the Environmental Design Gala planning committee. That's our annual awards ceremony.

What do you like to do in your spare time outside of classes?
A little bit of everything. Reading, writing, hiking, biking, photography, and just hanging out with my friends. I also like to do a bit of urban exploration. It’s fun to go explore the town.

What do you want to do when you graduate?
It’s hard to say since it’s three and half years down the road. I’m looking into something along the lines of lighting design, since I’m planning on getting the lighting design certificate. But, I honestly have no idea yet.  

Portrait of ChristianOK, what about your biggest dream?
My dream would be to have my own firm and be able to see my own designs come to life, especially when it comes to architecture. I’m really interested in communal living, which isn’t actually in abundance. I think my dream is to just build whatever I'd like.

What advice would you give to future students?
I’d say just go for it right from the beginning. I went into studio on one of the first nights that we were all there working together and I thought,“ok, I want to make some good friends.” I just started talking to everybody and over time we built a really strong bond together as a studio. I met some amazing people. So, just don’t hold back, be yourself and go for it!