28th Annual Campus Sustainability Summit and Awards Ceremony
Thursday, April 22, 2021 | Virtual Town Hall, 12-2pm MDT
Celebrate - Act - Connect
The Campus Sustainability Summit (CSS) is an annual information-sharing forum which features updates and strategic discussions on engagement, academics, and operations sustainability initiatives. Learn more about and contribute to the latest innovative developments in the legacy of sustainability at CU Boulder.
In collaboration with campus partners, CU Environmental Center has produced a Campus Sustainability Summit annually or semi-annually since 1994 for the campus community. The Campus Sustainability Summit and the Awards program are sponsored by the Office of the Provost, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Office of the Vice Chancellor of Infrastructure and Sustainability, and the CUSG Environmental Center. The Summit is and open to all CU Boulder students, faculty, and staff and community members.
2021 Campus Sustainability Summit Agenda
- 12:10pm “Moving Forward on CU’s Climate Leadership” - Chancellor Phil DiStefano
Chancellor's Call to Action on Climate Change Text and Video
- 12:20pm "The Great Reset: Learning from the Past and Rising to Meet the Future" Perspectives from Campus Leaders
With a legacy of campus leadership and innovations, campus leaders will explore what success looks like from their vantage points, how the campus can practice resilience and use the lessons learned from the challenges of the past year, and where we can have impact moving forward. A series of short presentations followed by discussion.
- David Kang, Vice Chancellor for Infrastructure and Sustainability
- Terri Fiez, Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation
- Molly Frommelt, CUSG President
- JB Banks, Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Jim White, Interim Dean of Arts and Sciences
Moderated by Heidi VanGenderen, Chief Sustainability Officer
Watch "The Great Reset"
- 1:00pm Campus Sustainability Awards
The 24th annual awards program recognizes outstanding individuals and departments who demonstrate a sincere commitment to continuing the CU Boulder tradition of leadership and student participation in campus sustainability. Awardees exhibit innovation that directly reduces the University's ecological footprint, enhances social cohesion and equity in the campus community, and/or integrates sustainability into the culture of Boulder and our local communities. Presented by: JB Banks, David Kang, Jim White, Claudius Mundoma
Watch the 2021 Campus Sustainability Awards
- 1:20pm "Buffs Striving for Sustainability: A Focus on Justice, Equity and Health Initiatives" Panel Discussion
This panel discussion explores the social justice dimensions of sustainability and features a few of the campus initiatives which are advancing justice, equity and health. Learn about the creative strategies being used by CU’s change-makers, the challenges they grapple with, and how the CU community can be engaged. Panelists include:
- Hannah Wilks, Director, Volunteer Resource Center
- Rick George, Director, Athletics
- Abigail Weeks, CUSG Environmental Board
- Phaedra Pezzullo, Associate Professor, CMCI; Co-Director, Center for Creative Climate Communication and Behavior Change
- Ysatiz Piñero, Director, Education and Social Change, Center for Inclusion and Social Change, ODECE
Moderated by Molly Frommelt, CUSG President
Watch "Buffs Striving for Sustainability"
- 1:55pm "CU's Sustainability Future?" Closing Remarks - Dave Newport, Director, CU Environmental Center
Watch Summit closing
Captioning: Machine-generated closed captions will be available on the webinar recording after the event has been posted. Please contact the ADA office by Friday, April 16 to request ASL or real-time captioning accommodations.
Campus Sustainability Summit Archives
April 2019 Agenda
- Detailed Agenda
- Strategy Cafe notes
- Stakeholder Session action ideas
- Links to plenary panel videos forthcoming