Published: Aug. 21, 2016 By

Mason Crosby kicks

It was 2012 and former Buffs kicker Mason Crosby, who had seldom known anything but success in sports, feared his days in the National Football League were numbered.

After five strong seasons, the Green Bay Packers kicker was slumping badly. He’d made just 21 of 33 field goal attempts for a humbling 63.6 percentage that put him near the bottom of all NFL kickers that year. Critics were calling for his head.

It didn’t seem to matter a whit that Crosby had been a key member of the Packers’ Super Bowl XLV championship team in 2010, in which he kicked four extra points and booted a field goal in the team’s 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I definitely hit a rough patch in 2012,” Crosby, a native Texan and two-time All-American at CU who earned Big 12 Conference player-of-the-week honors eight times his senior season, said in a recent phone interview.

But the Packers kept him on and the gamble paid off: Crosby bounced back in 2013, booting 33 field goals, including two 57-yarders. He’s fully rebounded to his old form and is now one the NFL’s highest-paid field goal and extra point specialists. 

“If you play this game long enough, bumps like that will happen,” said Crosby, 31, who left CU as the Buffs’ all-time leading scorer — at any position — with 308 points. “I’m fortunate the Packers organization stuck with me.”

In retrospect, the experience had an upside.

“I’d never gone through a period like that, but I learned how to let go, clear my mind and move on to the next kick,” Crosby said over the summer. “I didn’t enjoy that season, but in hindsight, I’m thankful for it.”

He’s continued to perform well, and not just with his foot. In a game last Jan. 3, Crosby ran down Minnesota Vikings kick returner Cordarelle Patterson, stripping the ball and forcing a turnover.

“I played free safety in high school, but hadn’t made a play like that in a long time,” he said, chuckling. “So in addition to all my field goals and extra points, that has to be one of the highlights of my NFL career.”

Crosby — who is especially good at kicking field goals in the frigid winter conditions of Green Bay’s Lambeau Field — was handsomely rewarded this March when he became a free agent. The Packers re-signed him to a four-year contract that will earn him $4 million a year.

“My time here in Green Bay has gone fast,” he said. “I can’t really believe it’s been 10 years. But I’m glad I’ll be staying a Packer and hope I can help get us into the Super Bowl again.”

Among Crosby’s many fond memories of his time at CU, his 21st birthday stands out: That day he kicked the winning field goal, a 47-yarder, against Colorado State.

“That was sweet,” he said. “Beating CSU was always a lot of fun.”

Freelancer Brian Clark lives in Madison, Wisc.

Photographs by Evan Siegle/Green Bay Packers