Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1996
B.A., Dartmouth College, 1989
Areas of Expertise
Aircraft and ground-based field studies with a focus on nitrogen oxides, heterogeneous chemistry, and regional air quality. Laboratory studies in support of field observation interpretation, spectroscopy, and spectroscopic instrument development.
Awards and Honors
- NOAA Bronze Medal Award (Highest level granted by the Undersecretary for Oceans and Atmospheres), 2020
- NOAA Bronze Medal Award (Highest level granted by the Undersecretary for Oceans and Atmospheres), 2018
- NOAA Office of Atmospheric Research, Best Scientific Paper Award, 2017
- Harold I. Schiff Lecture, York University, Toronto, Ontario, 2015
- Colorado Governor’s Award for High Impact Research, 2014
- McElvain Lecture, University of Wisconsin, 2013
- CIRES Outstanding Performance Award, University of Colorado, 2003
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, White House Office of
- Science and Technology Policy, 2002
- National Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1997-2000
For more information about Professor Brown's research, please visit his Research page
- Shah, V., L. Jaeglé, J.A. Thornton, F.D. Lopez-Hilfiker, B.H. Lee, J.C. Schroder, P. Campuzano-Jost, J.L. Jimenez, H. Guo, A.P. Sullivan, R.J. Weber, J.R. Green, M.N. Fiddler, S. Bililign, T.L. Campos, M. Stell, A.J. Weinheimer, D.D. Montzka, and S.S. Brown, Chemical feedbacks weaken the wintertime response of particulate sulfate and nitrate to emissions reductions over the eastern United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2018. 115(32): p. 8110.
- McDuffie, E., E., L. Fibiger Dorothy, P. Dubé William, F. Lopez‐Hilfiker, H. Lee Ben, A. Thornton Joel, V. Shah, L. Jaeglé, H. Guo, J. Weber Rodney, J. Michael Reeves, J. Weinheimer Andrew, C. Schroder Jason, P. Campuzano‐Jost, L. Jimenez Jose, E. Dibb Jack, P. Veres, C. Ebben, L. Sparks Tamara, J. Wooldridge Paul, C. Cohen Ronald, S. Hornbrook Rebecca, C. Apel Eric, T. Campos, R. Hall Samuel, K. Ullmann, and S. Brown Steven, Heterogeneous N2O5 Uptake During Winter: Aircraft Measurements During the 2015 WINTER Campaign and Critical Evaluation of Current Parameterizations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 2018. 123(8): p. 4345-4372.
- Franchin, A., D.L. Fibiger, L. Goldberger, E.E. McDuffie, A. Moravek, C.C. Womack, E.T. Crosman, K.S. Docherty, W.P. Dube, S.W. Hoch, B.H. Lee, R. Long, J.G. Murphy, J.A. Thornton, S.S. Brown, M. Baasandorj, and A.M. Middlebrook, Airborne and ground-based observations of ammonium-nitrate-dominated aerosols in a shallow boundary layer during intense winter pollution episodes in northern Utah. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 2018. 18(23): p. 17259-17276.
- Ng, N.L., S.S. Brown, A.T. Archibald, E. Atlas, R.C. Cohen, J.N. Crowley, D.A. Day, N.M. Donahue, J.L. Fry, H. Fuchs, R.J. Griffin, M.I. Guzman, H. Herrmann, A. Hodzic, Y. Iinuma, J.L. Jimenez, A. Kiendler-Scharr, B.H. Lee, D.J. Luecken, J. Mao, R. McLaren, A. Mutzel, H.D. Osthoff, B. Ouyang, B. Picquet-Varrault, U. Platt, H.O.T. Pye, Y. Rudich, R.H. Schwantes, M. Shiraiwa, J. Stutz, J.A. Thornton, A. Tilgner, B.J. Williams, and R.A. Zaveri, Nitrate radicals and biogenic volatile organic compounds: oxidation, mechanisms, and organic aerosol. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 2017. 17(3): p. 2103-2162.
- Edwards, P.M., K.C. Aikin, W.P. Dube, J.L. Fry, J.B. Gilman, J.A. de Gouw, M.G. Graus, T.F. Hanisco, J. Holloway, G. Hubler, J. Kaiser, F.N. Keutsch, B.M. Lerner, J.A. Neuman, D.D. Parrish, J. Peischl, I.B. Pollack, A.R. Ravishankara, J.M. Roberts, T.B. Ryerson, M. Trainer, P.R. Veres, G.M. Wolfe, C. Warneke, and S.S. Brown, Transition from high- to low-NOx control of night-time oxidation in the southeastern US. Nature Geosci, 2017. 10(7): p. 490-495.
- Brown, S.S., H.J. An, M. Lee, J.H. Park, S.D. Lee, D.L. Fibiger, E.E. McDuffie, W.P. Dubé, N.L. Wagner, and K.E. Min, Cavity Enhanced Spectroscopy for Measurement of Nitrogen Oxides in the Anthropocene: Results from the Seoul Tower during MAPS 2015. Faraday Discussions, 2017. 200: p. 529-557.
- Wang, T., Y.J. Tham, L. Xue, Q. Li, Q. Zha, Z. Wang, S.C.N. Poon, W.P. Dubé, D.R. Blake, P.K.K. Louie, C.W.Y. Luk, W. Tsui, and S.S. Brown, Observations of nitryl chloride and modeling its source and effect on ozone in the planetary boundary layer of southern China. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 2016. 121(5): p. 2476-2489.
- McDuffie, E.E., P.M. Edwards, J.B. Gilman, B.M. Lerner, W.P. Dubé, M. Trainer, D.E. Wolfe, W.M. Angevine, J. deGouw, E.J. Williams, A.G. Tevlin, J.G. Murphy, E.V. Fischer, S. McKeen, T.B. Ryerson, J. Peischl, J.S. Holloway, K. Aikin, A.O. Langford, C.J. Senff, R.J. Alvarez, S.R. Hall, K. Ullmann, K.O. Lantz, and S.S. Brown, Influence of oil and gas emissions on summertime ozone in the Colorado Northern Front Range. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 2016. 121(14): p. 8712-8729.
- Washenfelder, R.A., A.R. Attwood, C.A. Brock, H. Guo, L. Xu, R.J. Weber, N.L. Ng, H.M. Allen, B.R. Ayres, K. Baumann, R.C. Cohen, D.C. Draper, K.C. Duffey, E. Edgerton, J.L. Fry, W.W. Hu, J.L. Jimenez, B.B. Palm, P. Romer, E.A. Stone, P.J. Wooldridge, and S.S. Brown, Biomass burning dominates brown carbon absorption in the rural southeastern United States. Geophysical Research Letters, 2015. 42(2): p. 2014GL062444.
- Edwards, P.M., S.S. Brown, J.M. Roberts, R. Ahmadov, R.M. Banta, J.A. deGouw, W.P. Dube, R.A. Field, J.H. Flynn, J.B. Gilman, M. Graus, D. Helmig, A. Koss, A.O. Langford, B.L. Lefer, B.M. Lerner, R. Li, S.-M. Li, S.A. McKeen, S.M. Murphy, D.D. Parrish, C.J. Senff, J. Soltis, J. Stutz, C. Sweeney, C.R. Thompson, M.K. Trainer, C. Tsai, P.R. Veres, R.A. Washenfelder, C. Warneke, R.J. Wild, C.J. Young, B. Yuan, and R. Zamora, High winter ozone pollution from carbonyl photolysis in an oil and gas basin. Nature, 2014. 514: p. 351-354.