Edie Zagona is a Research Professor of Water Resources Engineering in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, and Director of the Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES). Specializing in research and development of decision support tools for water resources and hydropower management, she leads the R&D of the RiverWare® software platform, widely used by water managers, consultants and institutions
for managing multi-objective river, reservoir and hydropower systems. Her research activities include policy analysis and adaptive management for climate change, decision making under uncertainty, and transboundary water issues. She has collaborated with, provide training for, and advised various international groups including several years as technical advisor to the Nile Basin Initiative.
- Water resource systems and modeling
- Planning and operations of multi-objective river and reservoir systems
- Decision support
- Analysis and adaptive management for climate change
- Decision making under uncertainty
- American Geophysical Union
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Water Resources Association
- Colorado Foundation for Water Education
- International Water Resources Association
- Universities Council on Water Resources
- B.A. Philosopy, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1975
- B.S. Civil Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1978
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, CO, 1983; Hydraulics and Sedimentation Program
- Ph.D. Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 1992; Water Resources Program
Honors and Awards
- Director, Center for Advanced Decision Support for Water and Environmental Systems (CADSWES) 2000-Present
- RiverWare®, software copyright 1998-2017 by E. Zagona and CADSWES RiverWare Development Team, http://www.riverware.org/PDF/RiverWare/documentation/index.html
- Erkyihun, S.E., B. Rajagopalan, E. Zagona, U. Lall, and K. Nowak (2016). Wavelet-based Time Series Bootstrap Model for Multidecadal Streamflow Simulation Using Climate Indicators, Water Resour. Res., 52, 4061–4077, doi:10.1002/2016WR018696.
- Wheeler, K.G., M. Basheer, Z.T. Mekonnen, S.O. Eltoum, A. Mersha, G.M. Abdo, E.A. Zagona, J.W. Hall and S.J. Dadson (2016). Cooperative Filling Approaches for the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, Water International, Published online 11 May, DOI:10.1080/02508060.2016.1177698.
- Yanto, Rajagopalan, B. & Zagona, E. (2016). Space-time Variability of Indonesian Rainfall at Inter-annual and Multi-decadal Time Scales. Climate Dynamics, 1-15, DOI 10.1007/s00382-016-3008-8.
- Frevert, D., J. Prairie and E. Zagona, Hydrology of the Colorado River Basin, Chapter 110 in the Fiftieth Anniversary Edition of Handbook of Applied Hydrology, edited by Vijay Singh. McGraw-Hill, New York, October 11, 2016.
- Brown, C. M., J. R. Lund, X. Cai, P. M. Reed, E. A. Zagona, A. Ostfeld, J. Hall, G. W. Characklis, W. Yu, & L. Brekke (2015), The Future of Water Resources Systems Analysis: Toward a Scientific Framework for Sustainable Water Management, Water Resour. Res., 51, doi:10.1002/2015WR017114.
- Smith, R., J. Kasprzyk, and E. Zagona (2015). Many-Objective Analysis to Optimize Pumping and Releases in Multireservoir Water Supply Network, J. Water Resour. Plann. Manage., 04015049-1—04015049-14, dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000576.
- Bracken, C., B. Rajagopalan, E. Zagona (2014). A Hidden Markov Model Combined with Climate Indices for Multi-decadal Streamflow Simulation, Water Resources Research, 50, 7836-7846.
- Ibanez, E., T. Magee, M. Clement, G. Brinkman, M. Milligan, and E. Zagona (2014). Enhancing Hydropower Modeling in Variable Generation Integration Studies. Energy, 74 (2014), 518–528.
- Clement, M., T. Magee, E. Zagona (2014), A Methodology to Assess the Value of Integrated Hydropower and Wind Generation; Wind Engineering 38 (3), 261-276.
- Nowak, K., M. Hoerling, B. Rajagopalan, and E. Zagona (2012), Colorado River Basin Hydroclimatic Variability, Journal of Climate, 25 (2), 4389-4403
- Rajagopalan, B., C. Brown, A. Mishra, S. Demuth, E. Zagona, J. Salas, A. Sharma, U. Lall and A. Polebitski (2012). State of the resource: Quantity. In: Chapter 15 of Managing Water under Uncertainty and Risk, United Nations World Water Development Report 4 (WWDR4), UNESCO.