Alan Mickelson is a faculty member at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Alan’s primary research field has been optical and microwave technologies for communication. For roughly the last decade, Alan has also been involved with the Mortenson Center in Global Engineering, primarily working on wireless communication for sparsely populated remote areas and solar energy training for areas without power. Alan has worked on development projects in Nepal, Peru, Haiti, Cameroon, Rwanda and Bolivia. Alan presently is the Chairman of the IEEE Smart Village Operations committee where he oversees sustainable development efforts in Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Kenya and India. Alan received his BSEE from the University of Texas at El Paso and MS and PhD in Electrical Engineering with subject minor in Physics from California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, CA. He has been a visiting scientist in Byurakan Astrophysical Observatory in Byurakan Soviet Armenia and staff member of the Elektronikklaboratoriet of the Norwegian Institute of Technology (presently the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NUST)) in Trondheim. Alan has also been a visiting scientist at Fondazione Ugo Bordoni in Rome.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering (subject minor in Physics), June 1978 California Institute of Technology.
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, June 1974 California Institute of Technology
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, June 1973 University of Texas at El Paso
Honors and Awards
- Royal Norwegian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1980-1982
- National Academy of Sciences USSR Exchange Program Participant, 1979-1980
- Honorable mention for Best Paper Award, 1979, from IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society
- California Institute of Technology Fellowship Scholarship, 1973-1978
- President, Student IEEE Branch, University of Texas at El Paso, 1972-1973
- Weaver Company Tuition Scholarship, 1971-1973
- National Science Foundation Undergraduate Research Program Fellowship, 1972
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Eta Kappa Nu Electrical Engineering Honor Society
- A. R. Mickelson, Guided Wave Optics (Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1993).
- A. R. Mickelson, Physical Optics (Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1992).
- A. R. Mickelson, N. R. Basavanhally, and Y.-C. Lee, Eds., Optoelectronic Packaging (Wiley Interscience, 1997)
Alan Mickelson, “Silicon Photonic Slot Guides for Nonlinear Optics” International Conference on Microwaves and Photonics, ICMAP 2013, 13-15 December, 2013, Dhanbad, India.
Vishnu Priye and Alan Mickelson, “Multiple Scales Analysis of Low Index Subwavelength Slot Waveguide Electrooptic Modulator”, International Conference on Microwaves and Photonics, ICMAP 2013, 13-15 December, 2013, Dhanbad, India.
David Espinoza, Alan Mickelson, Jared Leventhal, Christie Ritter, River Quispe and Leopoldo Linan, “A VoIP Enabled Cooperative Network for Agricultural Commerce in Amazon Peru”, IEEE Global Humanitarian Conference (GHTC) San Jose(October 20-23, 2013).
Christie Ritter, Alan Mickelson, Daniel Knight, Jared Leventhal and David Espinoza, “Presenting the NapoNet: Developing Global Competencies through Communications in the Peruvian Amazon”, The 2nd Annual ASEE International Forum of the 2013 ASEE Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, June 22 (2013).
Moustafa Mohamed, Zheng Li, Xi Chen, Alan Mickelson and Li Shang, “Modeling and Analysis of Micro-Ring Based Nanophotonic Interconnect for Embedded Systems”, The International Conference on Hardware/Software Codesign and System Synthesis, CODE ISSS’11, Tapei, Taiwan, October, 2011.
Alan Mickelson, “Silicon Photonics for On-Chip Interconnections”, IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, CICC 11, September 18-21, 2011 San Jose CA.
Moustafa Mohamed, Zheng Li, Eric Dudley, Xi Chen, Li Shang, Won Park, and Alan Mickelson, “Adiabatic Couplers for Linear Power Division”, 2011 Integrated Photonics Research, Silicon and Nano Photonics (IPR) Topical Meeting IPR11, 12-16 June, 2011 at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, Canada.
Xi Chen, David Espinoza, Eric Dudley, Zheng Li, Moustafa Mohamed, Yonghao Cui, Won Park, Li Shang and Alan Mickelson, “Polymer-Clad Silicon on Insulator Slot Modulator”, 2011 Integrated Photonics Research, Silicon and Nano Photonics (IPR) Topical Meeting IPR11, 12-16 June, 2011 at the Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, Canada.
Zheng Li, Moustafa Mohamed, Xi Chen, Alan Mickelson, and Li Shang, “Device Modeling and System Simulation of Nanophotonic on-Chip Networks for Reliability, Power and Performance”, Design Automation Conference, DAC 2011, June 5 - 9, 2011 San Diego CA.
David Espinoza, Xi Chen, Hongyu Zhou, Dejan Filipovic and Alan Mickelson, “Nanophotonic Antennas Propagation through a Polymer Medium”, Photonics 10, Guwahati, India (December 11 - 15, 2010).