Publications in press
- Chawla, L., and van Vliet, W. (in press). Welcoming young people in urban placemaking: Learning from challenges. In J. Loebach, S. Little, A. Cox & P. Eubanks Owens (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People. Abingdon-on-Thames, UK: Routledge.
- Mintzer, M., and Chawla, L. (in press). Turning young people’s ideas into action: Learning from long-term partnerships for child and youth participation. In J. Loebach, S. Little, A. Cox & P. Eubanks Owens (Eds.), Routledge Handbook of Designing Public Spaces for Young People. Abingdon-on-Thames, UK: Routledge.
- Sobko, T., and Chawla, L. (in press). “Intergenerational gardening on urban rooftops: The example of the ‘Play and Grow’ Program in Hong Kong.” Second author, co-authored with Tanja Sobko. In M. Kaplan, J. Hoffman, M. Sánchez & L. L. Thang (eds.), Intergenerational Contact Zones: Place-based Tools for Promoting Social Inclusion and Belonging. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Chawla, L. (in press). “Knowing nature in childhood: Learning and wellbeing through engagement with the natural world.” In A. Schutte, J. Stevens & J. Torquati (eds.), Nature and Psychology: How the Natural World Shapes Our Cognition. Springer Science + Business Media, in press.
- Chawla, L. (2020) Helping students cope with environmental change and take constructive civic action. Green Schools Catalyst Quarterly, 7(1).
- Hill, C, and Chawla, L. (2019). “Fun, novel, safe and inclusive”: Children’s design recommendations for playgrounds for all abilities. Children, Youth and Environments, 29(1), 105-115
- Jordan, C., and Chawla, L. (2019). A coordinated research agenda for nature-based learning. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, Article 766. Doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00766
- Derr, V., L. Chawla and Mintzer, M. Placemaking with Children and Youth Participatory Practices for Planning Sustainable Communities. New York: New Village Press, 2018. Print. Winner of the Environmental Design Research Association 2019 Achievement Award.
Chawla, L., and Hughes, R. E. (2018). Returning orange waters to blue: Creating a culture of civic engagement through learning experiences. In M. E. Krasny (Ed.), Grassroots to Global: Broader Impacts of Civic Ecology (pp. 85-102). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
Chawla, L., and White, A. B. (2018). Place-based education and citizen science: Resources for learning beyond the classroom. The NAMTA Journal, 43(3): 4-22. (Journal of the North American Montessori Teachers Association).
Kreutz, A., Derr, V., and Chawla, L. (2018). Fluid or fixed? Design processes that facilitate or constrain a sense of inclusion in participatory schoolyard and park design. Landscape Journal, 37(1): 39-54.
Chawla, L. (2018) Nature-based learning for student achievement and ecological citizenship, Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue, 20 (1 & 2), xxv-xxxix.
- Mintzer, M. and D. Flanders Cushing. 2017, in press. “Growing Up Boulder: Engaging children and youth in local decision‐making." K. Bishop and L. Corkery (Eds.), Designing for Kids in the City: Beyond Playgrounds and Skateparks. Routledge Press
- University of Sheffield: Growing Up Boulder's "Great, Green Neighborhoods" project is featured on the Designing with Children website produced by the University of Sheffield in the UK; http://designingwithchildren.net/db/great_green-neighborhoods_growing-up....
- Derr, V., L. Chawla, and W. van Vliet. 2017, in press. "Children as Natural Change Agents: Child Friendly Cities as Resilient Cities." K. Bishop and L. Corkery (Eds.), Designing for Kids in the City: Beyond Playgrounds and Skateparks. Routledge Press.
- Singapore. http://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007%2F978-981-4585-99-6_21-1
- Derr, V., L. Chawla, and I. Pevec. Early 2017, in press. "Early Childhood," in A. Russ and M. Krasny (Eds.),Urban Environmental Education Review textbook. Cornell University Press. And associated video link.
- Derr, V., H. Ruppi, and D. Wagner. In Press. Honoring Voices, Inspiring Futures: Young People’s Engagement in Open Space Planning. Field Report for Children, Youth and Environments.
- Derr, V. and E. Tarantini. 2016. "Because We Are All People": Outcomes and Reflections from Young People’s Participation in the Planning and Design of Child-Friendly Public Spaces. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability.http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13549839.2016.1145643#.VsjGveZjxps
- Derr, V. and A. Rigolon. 2016. "Participatory Schoolyard Design for Health and Well-Being: Supportive Policies for Children’s Informal Play in Urban Green Spaces." C. Freeman and P. Tranter (Eds.), Risk, Protection, Provision and Policy. Volume 12 in T. Skelton (Ed.), Geographies of Children and Young People. Springer Press.
Cushing, Debra Flanders, Wexler Love, Emily, & van Vliet, Willem (2012) Through the viewfinder : using multimedia techniques to engage Latino youth in community planning. Ch. 11 in: M. Rios & L. Vasquez, (eds.), Placemaking in Latino Communities: Space, action, identity. Routledge.
- Chawla, L. & Driskell, D. (2009). Learning by doing: Education for sustainable development through place-based action research. In P.B. Corcoran & P.M. Osano (Eds.), Young People, Education, and Sustainable Development (pp. 91-98). Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Sancar, F. H. (2009). "Yerel yonetimler kentlerimizin yasam kalitesine nasil katkida bulunmalidir?" (How should local governments contribute to the liveability of our cities?") Gundem, 2009 Temmuz (July 2009) pp 26-29.
- Sancar, F. & Severcan, Y. (2009). "In search of agency: Participation in a youth organization in Turkey" In: Barry Percy-Smith and Nigel Thomas (Eds.),
A Handbook of Children and Young People's Participation:
- Perspectives from Theory and Practice. (pp 277-286). London: Routledge.
- Sancar, F. & Severcan, Y. (2009). Impact of tourism-led economic development on children's places: Comparison along rural-urban continuum using participatory photography in Bodrum Peninsula-Turkey. (Working Paper - In Review).
Varney, D., & van Vliet- W. (2008). Homelessness, children and youth: Research in the United States and Canada. American Behavioral Scientist, 51(6), 715-720.
- Chawla, L. & Flanders Cushing, D. (2007). Education for strategic environmental behavior.Environmental Education Research, 13(4), 437-452.
- Kingston, B., Wridt, P., Chawla L., van Vliet, W., & Brink, L. (2007). Creating child friendly cities in the case of Denver, USA. Municipal Engineer, 160(2), 97-102.
- Chawla, L. & Heft, H. (2006). Children as agents in sustainable development. In M. Blades & C. Spencer (Eds.), Children as Agents in Sustainable Development: The Ecology of Competence (pp. 199-216). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Karsten, L., & van Vliet-, W. (2006). Children in the city: Reclaiming the street. Children, Youth and Environments, 16(1), 151-167. Retrieved from http://www.colorado.edu/journals/cye/16_1/16_1_10_ChildrenInTheCity.pdf
- Karsten, L., & van Vliet-, W. (2006). Increasing children's freedom of movement: Introduction. Children, Youth and Environments, 16(1), 69-73. Retrieved from http://www.colorado.edu/journals/cye/16_1/16_1_04_SpecialIssue-intro.pdf
- Kirschke, J., & van Vliet-, W. (2005). “How can they look so happy?” Reconstructing the place of children after Hurricane Katrina: Images and reflections. Children, Youth and Environments, 15(2), 378-391. Retrieved from http://www.colorado.edu/journals/cye/15_2/15_2_23_HowCanTheyLookSoHappy.pdf
- Sancar, F.H. (2005). Participatory photography: Children's voices in municipal planning. In N. Kenton, A. Milligan & H. Ashley (Eds.) Participatory learning and action (PLA). (pp. 16-26). London: IIED.
Urban Poverty and Slums. Chapter Four (van Vliet, Willem) in The Challenge of Slums; Global Report on Human Settlements 2003 London: Earthscan (2003).
van Vliet, W. (1992). Housing for the Elderly in Comparative Perspective: The United States and the Netherlands. Housing and Society: Vol 19, No 3.
- van Vliet, W., (editor). Encyclopedia of Housing. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., 1998. Outstanding Academic Book Award from Choice, review journal of the Association of College and Research Libraries; Editors’ Choice, Booklist Magazine, review journal of the American Library Association; Outstanding Reference Source winner, Reference User and Services Association.
- van Vliet, W., (editor). International Handbook of Housing Policies and Practices. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. 1990.
- van Vliet, W., (editor). Women, Housing, and Community. London: Gower Publishing Company. 1988.
- van Vliet, W., (editor, co-edited by J. F. Wohlwill). Habitats for Children: Impacts of Density. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1985.
- van Vliet, W. “Learning from Experience: Ingredients and Transferability of Success.” Chapter 11, pp. 246-276, in Affordable Housing and Urban Redevelopment in the U.S.: Learning from Failure and Success, (Edited by W. van Vliet--). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., 1996.
- van Vliet, W. Housing an Aging Population in the Netherlands, Pp. 89-111, Chapter 5 in Housing Frail Elders: International Policies, Perspectives, and Prospects, edited by Jon Pynoos and Phoebe Liebig. Johns Hopkins Press. 1995.
- van Vliet, W. The Cherry Question or the Role of Social Science Research in Designing Against Vandalism. Chapter in Vandalism: Research, prevention and social policy, edited by C. Christensen, D. Johnson and M. Brooks. Portland: University of Washington/Forest Service/Park Service. 1992.
- van Vliet, W. The Housing and Living Arrangements of Young People in the U.S. Pp. 313-346 in Handbook of Housing and the Built Environment in the U.S., edited by E. Huttman and W. van Vliet--, Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. 1988.
- van Vliet, W. The role of housing type, household density and neighborhood density in peer group interaction and social adjustment. Chapter 8, pp. 165-200, in Habitats for children: impacts of density, edited by J. F. Wohlwill and W. van Vliet. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1985.
- van Vliet, W. Housing young people in Israel: public policy and private preferences. Chapter 9, pp. 142-156, in Housing Needs and Policy Approaches: trends in 13 countries, edited by W. van Vliet--, E. Huttman, and S. Fava. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1985.
- van Vliet, W. and J. F. Wohlwill. Habitats for children: the state of the evidence. Chapter 9, pp. 201-229, in Habitats for children: impacts of density, edited by J. F. Wohlwill and W. van Vliet. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1985.
- van Vliet, W. Vandalism: an assessment and agenda. Chapter 1, pp. 13-36, in Vandalism: Behavior and motivations, edited by C. Levy-Leboyer. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1984.