laptop computer with paper and penA common question is how to answer work authorization questions when applying to jobs online. There are typically two questions that you’ll need to answer.

Question 1: Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?
Answer: Yes

As an international student on an F-1 visa, you have work authorization through CPT and OPT. Also, students on other visas typically have work authorization as well.

Question 2: Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship?
Answer: Yes (generally)

This question will typically be answered “yes” by international students since you will need sponsorship to continue working after your work authorization through your student visa expires. There are some cases when students may answer “no” if they are planning to return to their home country or pursue additional education. International students should be prepared to talk to potential employers about why they won’t need sponsorship in the future if they check “no.”

You might be wondering if answering “yes” to both of these questions could mean that an employer won’t consider you for a position. That is a possibility; however, it’s better for that to happen early in the application process rather than finding out when you have a job offer that they the organization won’t be able to hire you. Networking before applying to jobs online can help you identify which companies are open to hiring international students.