Abbreviate avenue, boulevard and street only with a numbered address. Spell them out and capitalize when part of a formal street name without a number.
- 1234 Main St. / Main Street
When abbreviating post office in an address, use periods.
- P.O. Box 5678
Abbreviate states only when the street address with zip code is used. In these cases, always use the two-letter postal code. Otherwise, write out the full state name.
- The event is located at 3100 Marine St., Boulder, CO 80303.
- The event is located at 3100 Marine St. in Boulder, Colorado.
Campus addresses should begin with the name of the office or department, followed by University of Colorado Boulder, followed by the campus box number, followed by Boulder, CO. Use the nine-digit zip code, which includes the campus box number. See also: "Dates & times" page for additional ordering guidelines.
For mailing addresses in sentence form, order as follows:
- Send inquiries to the Office of Admissions, University of Colorado Boulder, 552 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0552.
For stacked mailing addresses, order as follows:
- Office of the Registrar
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0020
In less formal content, such as internal communications about campus events, including all address components may not be necessary. Order most specific to least specific in sentence form.
- The event is taking place in the Glen Miller Ballroom on the first floor of the University Memorial Center on Main Campus.
For other display formats, such as an event callout on a webpage, we recommend ordering least specific to most specific.
- Main Campus, University Memorial Center, first floor, Glen Miller Ballroom, Room 140
In addresses, do not include the building name and room number unless it is likely that people will drop by to hand deliver or pick up printed materials. See also: "Building names" page.
- Please submit your materials to the Office of Financial Aid, Regent 175, University of Colorado Boulder, 556 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309-0556.
Campus Box Numbers
All campus addresses must begin with the campus box number immediately followed by a three-letter code for the campus or university affiliate.
- UCB: Boulder campus
- UCD: Denver Campus
- UCS: Colorado Springs campus
- HSC: Health Sciences Center (9th Street and Colorado Boulevard)
- FTZ: Anschutz Medical Campus
- SYS: System administration
- UCA: University administration (offices on Grant Street in Denver)
Capitalize all words in a street name unless you are referring to more than one street, as in the second example.
- First Street, Arapahoe Avenue
- First and Third streets