Main menu

You are here


Summer housing choices range from university facilities for single and married students to off-campus rentals in all areas of Boulder. These choices are available through the offices designated below.

Living on Campus in the Residence Halls

Only single persons enrolled on the Boulder campus or in the Division of Continuing Education for three (3) or more credits may reside in the residence halls during summer session. If you are a summer session student, you will need your CU login and IdentiKey password to apply for residence halls accommodations. The application will be available beginning April 1, 2015.

If you do not meet the above requirements, and are either visiting faculty/staff or a research/internship student, housing options may be available. Please contact CU Conferences by email at or call 303-492-5151 to inquire about on-campus housing options, pricing, and availability.

A security deposit of $300 is required to complete your summer housing application. All residence hall facilities are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis, without regard to race, religion, national origin, etc.

Rooms for summer sessions A, B, C, and D are rented on a room and board basis. (Session M accommodations are for room only in double occupancy units.) On-campus housing is not available for Session G. Nineteen meals (three meals per day, Monday through Friday, and brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday) are served each week. Three meal plan packages are offered to accommodate differences in student schedules: the full meal plan (19 meals per week, up to four meals per day, Monday through Friday, and brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday); the “any 15 meals per week” plan; or the “any 10 meals per week” plan. Participation in the full meal plan or 15 meals per week plan is mandatory for all new freshman residents. There are a limited number of room-only accommodations for non-first-year students. (Meal plans are subject to change.)

The University of Colorado Boulder is a smoke-free campus. At this time, the use of smoking products of any sort is prohibited on all university owned and operated campus grounds, both indoors and outdoors. This smoking ban does not apply to public right-of-way (sidewalks, streets) on the perimeter of the campus. All university residence halls are designated nonsmoking environments. This includes all residence hall public areas such as lobbies, hallways, lounges, bathrooms, and dining facilities, as well as student rooms or living space.

Application for residence hall accommodations (and advance housing security deposot payment) and university admissions confirmation procedures (and deposits) are separate transactions, one of which does not guarantee the other. For information regarding admission to the university or confirmation procedures, call the Office of Admissions at 303-492-6301.

The summer housing rates for 2015 are listed below. (Rates are subject to change.) Students must pay room and board fees and other charges at the time scheduled by the university. Failure to pay will result in the student’s name being placed in the university debt file, resulting in a block on future registration for classes or the release of academic transcripts and termination by the university of this contract.

You may move in after 10 am on Sunday, May 31, 2015, for Sessions A, C, and D, and on Monday, July 6, 2015, for Session B. (Move-in dates are subject to change.) Unless you give advance notice, you must occupy your room no later than the first day of classes for the session in which you are enrolled, or your room may be released to another student.

You must move out of your room before 10 am on the day after the session ends. If changes in the university academic calendar require changes in residence hall occupancy and meal service dates, notice is sent with hall assignments.

If you are taking a short-session course (less than five weeks), you may arrange to live in a residence hall on a space-available basis. The minimum length of stay for which you can apply is two weeks. For further information, email, phone 303-492-6673, or write to:

Occupancy Management
Center for Community, Room S300
University of Colorado Boulder
159 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0159

Session M (Maymester)

If you are enrolled for Session M (Maymester), you are assigned to a double-occupancy room in the hall designated for Maymester. Accommodations for Session M are for room only. No meals are served. The $300 security deposit is not required for applicants who apply for Maymester only. You must pay for your room charges for the entire period reserved prior to check in; payment instructions will be sent to you via email in late April. You may move in after 1 pm on Friday, May 8, 2015, and move out of your room before 10 am on Saturday, May 30, 2015. (Dates, times, payment policy, and location of assignment are subject to change.)

Freshman Degree Students

If you are a freshman degree student during summer session or a freshman attending your first two academic semesters (fall and spring), you are required, subject to the availability of space, to live in a residence hall. Exceptions include students who are married or live with parents in the surrounding Boulder area and have permission granted in advance to commute.

You may request permission to live off campus for other reasons. Your request is considered on its merit, taking into account your individual circumstances. For information regarding freshman permission to reside off campus, contact Occupancy Management via email at, by phone at 303-492-6673, or write to:

Occupancy Management
Center for Community, Room S300
University of Colorado Boulder
159 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0159

If you are a freshman admitted for summer session 2015 and intend to continue on the Boulder campus in the fall, we encourage you to submit both your summer and fall housing applications at the same time and as early as possible.

Residence Halls

Summer residence halls offer a variety of attractive and comfortable accommodations, including double and single rooms and a dining center nearby. Freshmen usually share a designated residence hall. Other areas are set aside for non-freshman students. (This assignment schedule is subject to change.) A limited number of single rooms may be available upon request; however, single rooms cannot be guaranteed. Visit the Housing & Dining Services website for more information.

Applicants will be notified by email of their residence hall assignment and move-in dates before the beginning of the session(s) they plan to attend.

Summer Room and Board Rates

Room with 19 Meals/Week Plan Room with Any 15 Meals/Week Plan
Room with Any 10 Meals/Week Plan
Session M (May 8-30)
Double or Triple (no meal plan available) $611 $611 $611
Single (no meal plan available) $789 $789 $789
Session A (May 31-July 3)
Double or Triple $1,774 $1,774 $1,642
Single $2,041 $2,041 $1,909
Session B (July 6-August 8)
Double $1,774 $1,774 $1,642
Single $2,041 $2,041 $1,909
Session C (May 31-July 25)
Double $2,957 $2,957 $2,737
Single $3,402 $3,402 $3,182
Session D (May 31-August 8)
Double $3,710 $3,710 $3,434
Single $4,268 $4,268 $3,992
Reed Efficiency Apartments
(Non-freshmen; rates reflect no meal plan)
  1-student unit 2-student unit
Session A (May 31-July 3)
$1,370 $1,076
Session B (July 6-August 8) $1,370 $1,076
Session C (May 31-July 25)
$2,284 $1,794
Session D (May 31-August 8)
$2,865 $2,251

Rates for summer 2015 are subject to change. Participation in the 19 or 15 meals-per-week plan is mandatory for all new freshman residents. On-campus housing is not available for Session G (Augmester)

Family Housing

The university owns and operates a variety of apartments for students, staff, and faculty who are single, married, same gender couples, or single-parent families. Residents come from all over the world to form a unique and diverse community on campus. For further information, visit the family housing website, email, call 303-492-6384, or write to:

Graduate & Family Housing Office
1350 20th Street
Boulder, CO 80302

Off-Campus Housing

Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations (a service of the University of Colorado Student Government) maintains listings of apartments, houses, and rooms for rent in the Boulder area. Currently enrolled students may view listings and connect with potential roommates. Students searching for apartments may also stop by the office and pick up a detailed list of complexes and management companies in the Boulder area.

The department has a staff attorney available on Tuesdays and Fridays to advise students about leases, security deposits, maintenance issues, and roommate and landlord conflicts. Office assistants can help students locate properties and answer questions about the surrounding neighborhoods, and suggest effective techniques for living with roommates. During the spring semester the office sponsors two off-campus housing fairs where landlords, property managers, and related businesses offer their services to students in a trade-show fashion.

For additional information about our services visit the off-campus housing website or call 303-492-7053. Off-Campus Housing & Neighborhood Relations is located in the University Memorial Center, Room 313. We are available Monday–Friday 8 am–5 pm during the school year and 7:30 am–4:30 pm during the summer.

Note: First-year students must receive written permission from Housing and Dining Services before obtaining off-campus accommodations for the fall and spring semesters of their first year, as well as the summer session preceding their fall start date.