Registration Programs

While the majority of attendees at CU Boulder are traditional students, the university serves the needs of a wide variety of nontraditional students as well. Each registration program or student type may have different registration and enrollment stipulations.


Nondegree students are able to enroll in CU Boulder Main Campus courses (undergraduate or graduate) through Continuing Education. Some ACCESS students take courses for personal or professional development, while others plan to enroll in a degree program at CU Boulder in the future.

Audit Card Program

Certain individuals who are not registered students may be able to audit regularly scheduled classes with an audit card. Auditors must get permission from the professor to audit a class prior to purchasing the audit card. For more information, visit Community Auditor Registration or contact the Division of Continuing Education at 303-492-5148.

Colorado residents aged 55 or older, visit CU Boulder Alumni Association for information about the senior auditor program. 

Concurrent & Intercampus Registration

Concurrent registration enables students to take courses on another University of Colorado campus if they are unable to take the degree-required courses at CU Boulder. If students plan to take at least one course at CU Boulder, they are able to register concurrently on another CU campus.

Host campus: For Boulder campus students, the term "host campus" defines the University of Colorado campus other than Boulder where students are taking concurrent course work.

Home campus: A CU Boulder student's "home campus" is Boulder. 

Deadlines & Restrictions

  • Before the add/drop deadline of the host campus, a student may drop/add a course taken concurrently by contacting their home campus registrar's office.

  • After the deadline, students must secure a host campus add/drop form with the appropriate signatures and turn it in to their home campus registrar's office. After a deadline, students may be assessed W grades and full tuition and fees.

  • Once enrolled, students must be aware that many services at the host campus will not be available, because they do not pay the required fees (if any) for these services.

How to Register for Concurrent Courses

Undergraduate Students

  1. Complete the Concurrent Registration Form and Policy obtained from the home campus registrar's office. 
  2. Submit the form in person to the home campus registrar's office on or after April 1 for fall semester and on or after Oct. 1 for spring semester. Note: All undergraduate students must secure their dean's signature before turning in this form. Contact your undergraduate academic advising office to find out how to obtain this signature.
  3. The registrar's office will determine if space is available and, if so, enroll the student in the requested course during the student's equivalent enrollment window at the host campus.

Graduate Students

  1. Complete the Concurrent Registration Form and Policy obtained from the home campus registrar's office. 
  2. Submit the form in person to the home campus registrar's office on or after April 1 for fall semester and on or after Oct. 1 for spring semester. Note: Students in certain graduate programs are exempt from registering at their home campus. For details, see the Concurrent Registration Form and Policy. The student should take the signed concurrent registration form to the Graduate Student Services office in the lower level of the Regent Administrative Center, room 1B53, for the dean's signature.
    • Check with the Office of the Registrar for exceptions to the home-campus registration requirement and limitation on credit hours at the host campus.
  3. Graduate students can also participate in the Reciprocal Exchange Program (see below for more details).
  4. The registrar's office will determine if space is available and, if so, enroll the student in the requested course during the student's equivalent enrollment window at the host campus.

Intercampus Registration

If a student wants to take course work on another University of Colorado campus but not go through the concurrent registration program, they must apply for admission to that campus, follow its registration procedures, and check with the dean's office for approval. Students may apply as nondegree students or as degree-seeking students. (Students in the College of Arts and Sciences may not register at the Denver or Colorado Springs campus except in the summer.) 

Faculty & Staff Registration

Admitted degree-seeking or nondegree faculty, staff and dependent students not using the Employee Tuition Waiver Benefit can register for classes without additional paperwork during their assigned enrollment dates or open enrollment.

Faculty, staff and dependents wishing to use the benefit must follow CU's Employee Tuition Waiver Benefit process carefully. Please note: 

  • Dependents can register for class(es) in MyCUInfo during their assigned enrollment dates (degree-seeking students) or the open enrollment period (nondegree students).
  • Faculty and staff must wait to register for class(es) in MyCUInfo until the first day of classes.

For additional information, see the Employee Tuition Benefit page on the Bursar's Office website.

High School Concurrent Registration

The High School Concurrent Program offers high school students the challenge of completing college courses. For information on eligibility and registration, call 303-492-5148, or visit the High School Concurrent program online. 

Reciprocal Exchange Program

The Reciprocal Exchange Program allows CU Boulder graduate students to take courses at other Colorado colleges and universities without applying at host campuses and at no additional cost to the student. The Reciprocal Exchange Program is an agreement between the following state-supported institutions of Colorado:

  • University of Colorado
  • Colorado State University
  • Colorado School of Mines
  • University of Northern Colorado

Reciprocal Exchange Program Requirements

CU Boulder graduate students must register for the minimum number of credit hours that charge full tuition and fees at CU Boulder in order to participate. For a breakdown of credit hours to tuition and fees, see the Bursar's Office's Tuition and Fees Rate Sheets webpage.

Reciprocal Exchange Program Process

To register, you must:

  1. Pick up the Reciprocal Exchange Program application at the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Obtain approval signatures on the application from their home department and graduate school.
  3. Obtain an approval signature from the instructor teaching the class at the host institution.
  4. Submit the completed, signed form to the Office of the Registrar at the home campus, which coordinates with the host institution registrar's office to register the student into the appropriate class(es).

At the end of the semester, the host department notifies the home institution of the assigned grade, which will be placed on the student's home institution transcript.

Senior Auditors

Colorado residents aged 55 and older can register in this tuition-free, noncredit program to audit classes on a space-available basis. For more information, call 303-492-8484, or visit CU Boulder Alumni Association