Tuition Classification


The state of Colorado partially subsidizes the cost of tuition for all students whose domicile, or permanent legal residence, is in Colorado. Each CU student is classified as either a "resident" or a "nonresident" at the time of matriculation. These classifications are based on information furnished by each student on his or her application for admission to CU.

Tuition classification is governed by state law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973, as amended) and by judicial decisions that apply to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado, and is subject to change at any time. The university is not free to make exceptions to the rules except as specifically permitted by state law. For more information, please visit the Colorado Department of Higher Education website.

If your current tuition classification is nonresident, the residency petition process is your only tool to request a change to your residency status. All qualified individuals who are interested in petitioning for Colorado residency must complete the appropriate petition. Petitions may be downloaded by clicking the corresponding links. Paper copies are available in the Office of the Registrar.

Adult Residency Petition

The following students must submit a completed Adult Residency Petition:

  • ADULT STUDENTS who are at least 23 years of age prior to the first day of classes in the semester for which they are petitioning.
  • Students MARRIED for at least one year prior to the first day of classes in the semester for which they are petitioning.
  • Second-year GRADUATE students.

Optional Tuition Classification 501 sessions are available for students who meet one of the above qualifications. These informational sessions cover basic domicile qualifications, petitioning process and deadlines. Seating is limited, so please register through the Tuition Classification Calendar. 

Emancipation Petition

Students who do not qualify to petition with the parent petition or the adult petition may qualify to petition as an EMANCIPATED MINOR.

An emancipated minor must prove that they are financially and residentially independent as well as domiciled in Colorado for one full year.  Emancipation petitioners are required to attend a Tuition Classification 101 session to obtain a copy of the petition and to learn about the petition process. Petitions are not available online.

Tuition Classification 101: Emancipation Sessions are scheduled on alternating Mondays and Thursdays from 2 to 3 p.m. throughout the semester in the Regent Administrative Center. Seating is limited, so please register through the Tuition Classification Calendar. Attending this session is the only way to obtain a valid residency petition for emancipation.

Parent Petition

Submit a completed Parent Petition to demonstrate parent domicile in Colorado.

    Residency Petition Submission Dates and Deadlines

    Applicable Term Domicile Qualifying Date* Earliest Submission Date Final Deadline
    Summer 2016 May 8, 2015 April 1, 2016 May 13, 2016,
    at 4:30 p.m. MT
    Fall 2016 August 21, 2015 April 1, 2016 July 25, 2016,
    at 4:30 p.m. MT
    Spring 2017 January 16, 2016 September 30, 2016 December 16, 2016,
    at 5 p.m. MT

    *The domicile qualifying date is the date by which you must have established your permanent residence in Colorado to qualify to petition for the corresponding term.

    • Submission dates and forms are subject to change without notice. Refer back to this website for the most current information.
    • You must provide proof of residence and any employment in Colorado for summer months included in your domicile qualifying period.
    • All residency petitions must be submitted by close of business on the published deadline. Late petitions will not be accepted.