Intra-University Transfer

You are here

Current undergraduate students wishing to transfer to the College of Engineering and Applied Science from another college or school on the Boulder campus, or add a College of Engineering and Applied Science major to their current degree program, must do so through the Intra-University Transfer (IUT) process. This college reserves the right to revise the IUT application process or admissions criteria as it finds necessary.

The following information pertains to degree-seeking students new to the CU-Boulder campus in Fall 2014 or later. Students matriculating at CU-Boulder prior to Fall 2014 should consult this document for admission requirements and additional information.

In order to meet with the College of Engineering and Applied Science IUT Coordinator, you must complete a mandatory online IUT quiz, after carefully reading the requirements on this page.You MUST print this quiz off and present it at your advising meeting. Please follow this link for the quiz:

Application Process and Deadlines

The IUT application form must be obtained from and returned to the college's Dean’s Office (ECAD 100). Applications are accepted at any time, but applicants should apply by the deadlines specified in the table below if they are seeking admittance for a given semester. Applicants must be enrolled in and complete at least 12 CU-Boulder credit hours when applying during fall semester for spring semester admittance, or when applying during spring semester for fall semester admittance. There is no minimum enrollment requirement to apply during summer session for fall semester admittance. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the application form is submitted prior to the deadline date and that this form accurately documents all of the applicant’s academic record. Once submitted, an IUT application may not be withdrawn.

If an applicant is in progress for courses at the time of applying, the college waits until the end of the semester/term, after final grades have posted, before reviewing the IUT application. However, a request for immediate review can be made by any applicant who applies during summer and is not actively enrolled in CU-Boulder summer session at the time of applying. Accepted students matriculate in the college in either the fall or spring semester (not summer session).

Desired semester Apply by ... Decision by ...
Spring Last day of fall semester classes Early January
Fall Last day of spring semester classes
Last day of summer session classes
End of May
Varies based on applicant's enrollment status and summer term end dates. All decisions complete by mid-August.

When am I eligible to apply?

It depends!** Generally, applicants are required to complete a minimum of four CU-Boulder courses to be reviewed for admission: two appropriate mathematics courses and two appropriate science courses. A typical sequence involves two semesters of college calculus and two semesters of a laboratory science course (college-level chemistry and/or calculus-based physics). For example, students would apply when they have completed APPM 1350 (or MATH 1300) and are enrolled in and completing APPM 1360 (or MATH 2300).

For the appropriate science coursework, a combination of PHYS 1110 + CHEM 1113/1114, or PHYS 1110 + PHYS 1120, or CHEM 1113/1114 + CHEM 1133/1134 is appropriate. These courses in chemistry and/or physics are required for an IUT transfer, irrespective of intended major degree requirements. Students may wish to enroll in additional courses applying to engineering degree requirements—see "CU-Boulder Course Selection" section of this advising guide for details about choice of additional courses. It is important that advance planning be done for course requirements; consult the intended major department academic advisor when planning course selection and sequences.

If a student has previously completed any portion of the aforementioned courses elsewhere than at CU-Boulder, or gained college credit otherwise (e.g., AP exam credit), he/she should confer with the college’s IUT Coordinator regarding appropriate CU-Boulder math and science courses for the IUT.

**EXCEPTION: Students who never previously applied to the College of Engineering and Applied Science at CU-Boulder may apply for admission if the semester admitted would occur within 18 months of their high school graduation date, as long as:

  1. The student’s high school academic record meets or exceeds the minimum criteria as follows:
    • Rank in top 10% or GPA of 3.80
    • AND SAT Critical Reading 610/ACT English 27 and SAT Math 670/ACT Math 30
  2. The CU-Boulder Cumulative GPA is at least 3.100, and
  3. No grades earned at CU-Boulder are below C. In addition, if a student has established a CU-Boulder Technical GPA, this GPA must be at least 2.700. All application deadlines as described in this advising guide apply.

Rules of the college require that the last 45 semester credit hours used to fulfill degree requirements must be taken as a regular degree student in the College of Engineering on the Boulder campus. Consequently, IUT applications may not be accepted from applicants with less than 45 semester credit hours remaining in engineering degree requirements unless there is a written agreement that the student will complete 45 hours in this College and this will require the student to take coursework beyond minimum degree requirements. The College in-residence credit requirement may not be waived by petition or appeal.

All IUT applicants are required to know and abide by college and university policies as detailed in the University Catalog. An accepted student’s degree requirements are dictated by policy in effect at the time of matriculation into this college, not when he/she entered the university.

Admission Criteria

Students completing the required CU-Boulder coursework and meeting the criteria below will be guaranteed admission to the major of choice in the College of Engineering and Applied Science:

- The student must have completed a full-time CU-Boulder course load for the semester/term of application (i.e., semester/term being completed), with a semester/term GPA of at least 2.250.

- The CU-Boulder Cumulative GPA must be at least 2.700. Only CU-Boulder campus coursework is used in this computation, not coursework from other CU campuses.

- The CU-Boulder Technical GPA must be at least 2.700. See UCB Technical GPA to know what courses are included in the CU-Boulder Technical GPA. Individual grades in the CU-Boulder Technical GPA must be at least C. Only CU-Boulder campus coursework is used in this computation, not coursework from other CU campuses.

- You may run the "GPA Calc for Engineering IUTs" degree audit on to track your CU-Boulder Cumulative GPA and CU-Boulder Technical GPA.

If a course or equivalent course was repeated at CU-Boulder, only the most recent grade will be included in the above GPAs (note in all cases that the College only allows a student three attempts to master the subject at the required level for degree requirements). To be eligible for IUT admission, the University of Colorado GPA as shown on the CU transcript must be at least 2.250 (all grades earned, including repeated coursework).

Any grades earned prior to ten years from the date of IUT application will not be considered in the GPA calculator.

Admission Decisions

The college will make one of the following decisions concerning IUT applicants:

ADMIT- The applicant is admitted to this college as a full-time undergraduate student.

REFUSE - The applicant is refused admission to this college. Once refused, the applicant may continue in engineering courses for the following semester and then be automatically considered for IUT admission a second time. If not admitted this second time, no additional engineering courses may be taken (unless for a minor) and the student cannot apply to this College in the future.

The college may decide to defer the admit or refuse decision. This option is allowed only if documented external events have negatively impacted the applicant during the semester in which the IUT application was processed, e.g., extended medical care throughout the semester or a family emergency with considerable time away from school.

Engineering Major

IUT applicants must select a major from one of the 13 undergraduate degree programs offered by the college.

CU-Boulder Course Selection

If a student wishes to consider enrolling in additional courses beyond the minimum needed for IUT application consideration, consult with an academic advisor in your intended engineering major for specific course selection and course approval questions. Selected engineering department courses are open to enrollment by non-engineering students on a space-available basis (lower-division courses only). Contact the appropriate academic department of the course being offered for enrollment information. See our list of academic advisors for contact information.

Other courses may be selected to fulfill degree requirements in the humanities or social sciences and to meet MAPS requirements. See the college’s Humanities, Social Sciences, and Writing degree requirements and MAPS requirements.

Note for Chemical Engineering, Chemical & Biological Engineering, and Environmental Engineering applicants:  If the student’s schedule permits, the IUT applicant may consider enrolling in CHEN 1211-3 and CHEM 1221-2 (General Chemistry for Engineers with laboratory). Alternatively, IUT applicants may substitute both CHEM 1113/1114 (General Chemistry 1 with lab) and CHEM 1133/1134 (General Chemistry 2 with lab) for this degree requirement.

Note for Double Degree applicants: If you are planning to add a major in this college to another major in another college/school at CU-Boulder, students must satisfy curricula for both programs and may need to complete additional semester credit hours above and beyond the largest minimum credit hour requirement.

If you would like a condensed PDF version of the information above, please refer to this presentation.


I applied to the College of Engineering and Applied Science but wasn't admitted. Can I still major in engineering?

Yes! The majority of courses first-year engineering students take are open to all CU-Boulder students. Within their first year, engineering students take two calculus courses and two appropriate laboratory science courses. Taking these courses not only makes you eligible to apply for the IUT, but keeps you on track for your engineering degree.

Can I transfer in as an undeclared major (open option) in engineering?

No, because by the time you finish the required courses for the IUT, you will be ready to jump into your major curriculum.  You should spend some time investigating your your choice of major, talk with Career Services, talk with advisors/faculty in your intended major department, etc.) so that you indicate an appropriate choice of major on your IUT application. 

What classes should I sign up for?

Students who are admitted to a college other than the College of Engineering and Applied Science register for their first semester of classes during their summer orientation session.  They will meet with an advisor in their current college who can help them determine applicability of AP/IB or other transfer credit and answer any registration questions. 

Recommended courses that non-engineering students should sign up for during their first year on campus are listed below.  Note that students interested in Chemical Engineering, Chemical and Biological Engineering, or Environmental Engineering may want to consider taking summer classes after their first-year in order to stay on track with their departmental curriculum.

Applied Mathematics, Architectural Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
Fall Semester MATH 1300 (Calculus 1) OR APPM 1350 (Calculus 1 for Engineers) AND CHEM 1113 (General Chemistry 1) w/ CHEM 1114 (Laboratory in General Chemistry 1) or PHYS 1110 (General Physics 1) AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).
Spring Semester

MATH 2300 (Calculus 2) OR APPM 1360 (Calculus 2 for Engineers) AND PHYS 1110 (General Physics 1) or PHYS 1120 (General Physics 2) AND CSCI 1300* (Programming 1) or GEEN 1300* (Intro to Engineering Computing) AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).

*Note that MATLAB is used extensively in most of these majors and is not covered in CSCI 1300.  If required for their major, students are responsible for making sure they are familiar with this program upon completion of CSCI 1300 (go to MATLAB tutorial).

Chemical Engineering, Chemical and Biological Engineering, or Environmental Engineering
Fall Semester MATH 1300 (Calculus 1) OR APPM 1350 (Calculus 1 for Engineers) AND CHEM 1113 (General Chemistry 1) w/ CHEM 1114 (Laboratory in General Chemistry 1) AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).
Spring Semester MATH 2300 (Calculus 2) OR APPM 1360 (Calculus 2 for Engineers) AND CHEM 1133 (General Chemistry 2) w/ CHEM 1134 (Laboratory in General Chemistry 2)  AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).
Summer Term GEEN 1300 (Intro to Engineering Computing) AND PHYS 1110 (General Physics 1)

Aerospace Engineering Sciences, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, or Engineering Physics
Fall Semester MATH 1300 (Calculus 1) OR APPM 1350 (Calculus 1 for Engineers) AND PHYS 1110 (General Physics 1) AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).
Spring Semester MATH 2300 (Calculus 2) OR APPM 1360 (Calculus 2 for Engineers) AND PHYS 1120 (General Physics 2) AND CSCI 1300 (Programming 1) AND appropriate H&SS course(s) (see H&SS requirements for more information).


There seem to be other engineering-specific courses students take during their first year.  If I don't take them, will I be behind?

Not necessarily.  Most of these courses are not prerequisites for sophomore year classes and can be made up after transferring into the college.  If you are unable to take one of these engineering-specific classes during your first year, you can enroll in extra humanities and social science electives to give yourself room in your sophomore schedule to fit these engineering classes in. 

  • If you wish to enroll in a general engineering course like the hands-on, design-based GEEN 1400 (1st Year Engineering Projects), COEN 1500 (Introduction to Engineering), or COEN 1300 (Introduction to Engineering Computing), please complete the online request form at
  • Contact the major department academic advisor to be added to department-specific courses like AREN 1027 (Engineering Drawing), CVEN 2012 (Intro to Geomatics) or ECEN 1400 (Intro to Digital and Analog Electronics).  See list ofdepartmental contacts

What if I already have college credit otherwise for some of the aforementioned courses?  Do I need to repeat those courses at CU-Boulder?

No!  If you have transfer credit, or AP/IB exam college credit, for some of the courses mentioned above, you should confer with the College of Engineering and Applied Science IUT coordinator regarding choice of appropriate CU-Boulder math and science courses so that you can be eligible to apply for the IUT.

What else should I do during my first year on campus?

Get involved in engineering!  It is important you start participating in the engineering community so you can form those supportive networks with other students that will carry you through the program. 

  • On the Thursday before classes begin for the fall semester, students are encouraged to attend the afternoon Student Organization and Society Fair, in the Engineering Center Courtyard, to learn about engineering groups they may want to join.  Or you can learn more about our student organizations online.
  • The BOLD Center also offers community building events. Either visit the BOLD Center in ECCE 100 or learn more online at BOLD Center.

Who can I talk to in the College of Engineering and Applied Science?

Contact your intended major department academic advisor, but please be mindful to avoid peak advising periods of April and November.  You should attend a college IUT information meeting (see dates/times) before contacting a major department academic advisor.

Where can I obtain an IUT application?

At the Dean's Office reception area, which is located through the main lobby of the Engineering Center. Call 303-492-5071 for directions.

If I still have questions, what should I do?

Please contact the college's Student Services Coordinator, Chris Anderson, at or 303-492-1817.

Important Announcements

CUEngineering is here!
The 2014 edition of CUEngineering magazine is hot off the press! Check it out online.

University of Colorado Boulder
© Regents of the University of Colorado
PrivacyLegal & Trademarks
College of Engineering & Applied Science
Contact Us