Minimum Requirements for Admission
Admissions decisions are based on multiple criteria, including undergraduate academic record, scores on the Graduate Record Examination (Quantitative, Verbal, Writing), four letters of recommendation, evidence of special accomplishments (e.g., exemplary performance in research courses, completed research papers), and relevant past experience. The criteria are considered in the aggregate. Congruence between program and applicant goals is also an important consideration. The program has affirmative action goals and funding; candidates from historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
All persons seeking admission to the PhD program in Social and Multicultural & Bilingual Foundations of Education must meet the following minimum admission requirements:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 2.75 undergraduate grade point average.
- Minimum 3.00 grade point average in any post-baccalaureate degree program.
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination
- Classroom teaching experience, or verified experience working with children with special needs.
- Bilingual competence in reading, writing, and speaking English and another language other than English (e.g., Spanish, Asian or American Indian languages).
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.
- International Students only: TOEFL scores (114) or IELTS (8.0)
The following documents contain information about grades, grade point averages, time limits, independent study/readings credits, deadlines, and other relevant topics. Please consult them for additional information about School of Education graduate programs and all required coursework.
The deadline for submitting complete materials for admission to this program is December 15 for enrollment in the fall semester. Admissions to this program are for enrollment beginning in the fall semester only of each year.
- C&I: Literacy Studies
- C&I: Math & Science Education
- C&I: Humanities Education
- C&I: Research on Teaching & Teacher Education
- Educational Equity & Cultural Diversity
- Educational Foundations, Policy & Practice
- Educational Psychology & Learning Sciences
- Research & Evaluation Methodology
- MA + Licensure Programs
- Partners in Education (PIE) Program