If you do not have private insurance, have a high deductible plan, need better coverage for mental or medical health services, or lack adequate coverage in Colorado, you can enroll in the Anthem Gold SHIP.
This exclusive plan for CU Boulder students provides a full year of coverage for mental health and medical services on campus, locally, nationally and internationally.
Dates, deadlines and costs
Students can enroll in the Anthem Gold Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) during the open enrollment period of their first semester at CU Boulder. Coverage will continue from fall to spring unless you change your selection during the next open enrollment period.
This information must be submitted your first semester and then every year that you attend CU Boulder during fall open enrollment.
August 1 - December 31, 2023
Open enrollment period:
June 13 - September 15, 2023
September 15, 2023
Open enrollment has closed for Fall 2023. The portal will reopen for those students who wish to change their selection for Spring 2024 on December 12, 2023.
January 1 - July 31, 2023
Open enrollment period:
December 12, 2023 - February 13, 2024
February 13, 2024
Summer 2024 only
May 1 - July 31, 2024
Open enrollment period:
April 13 - May 31, 2024
May 31, 2024
*Please note: The insurance portal is not open over the summer. Students wanting to enroll in summer insurance coverage will need to call 303-492-5107 or email email@example.com.
Eligibility is determined by your status as a student. In order to be eligible to enroll in Anthem Gold SHIP, students must meet one of the following requirements:
- You must be actively enrolled in at least six undergraduate or one graduate credit hour. As long as you are enrolled in these credits prior to the insurance effective date, there will be no lapse in coverage.
- Degree-seeking graduate students enrolled in one or more graduate credit hours.
- Non-degree seeking Continuing Education students, Study Abroad (including Semester at Sea) students, and Evening MBA students enrolled in six or more credit hours and paying the base student and health fees, may be eligible to enroll in the CU Anthem Gold SHIP and can do so by contacting the Student Insurance Office at 303-492-5107 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
- Students approved for the Leave of Absence Program are eligible to enroll in the CU Anthem Gold SHIP for one semester that they are not registered for classes and can do so by contacting the Student Insurance Office at 303-492-5107 or email@example.com for additional details.
Please note: Anthem Gold SHIP is a student health insurance plan and only provides coverage for eligible undergraduate and graduate students. This plan does not provide coverage or benefits for dependents or spouses.
You will be charged the insurance premium for the fall and spring semesters through your student account. Your enrollment in Anthem Gold SHIP coverage will automatically renew in the spring unless you choose to submit a new insurance waiver application, or you cease to be an eligible student during the spring enrollment/waiver period.
The Anthem Gold Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), an exclusive plan for CU students, provides a full year of coverage and is administered through Anthem.
This plan provides comprehensive medical, mental health and prescription coverage. Vision and dental are also available through specific contracted providers in the Boulder community. Please refer to our website or call the student insurance office for details.
Anthem Gold SHIP provides coverage for services on campus, as well as national and international coverage. Students can access care on campus through Health and Wellness Services, or off campus through in-network community providers.
With Anthem Gold SHIP, select services on campus are available for little or no out-of-pocket costs, including primary care, counseling, physical therapy, nutrition and more.
Mental Health Benefits
100% coverage for in-network providers with no copays.
Students with Anthem Gold SHIP are able to access mental health services at no cost at in-network providers and at CU Boulder.
Annual Dental Exam, Cleaning and X-Ray
Students with Anthem Gold SHIP are entitled to one dental exam, cleaning and x-ray per policy year at no additional cost through PERFECT TEETH™.
Using Anthem Gold SHIP at CU Boulder
Anthem Gold SHIP provides 100% coverage for the following services provided by CU Boulder Health and Wellness Services:
- Primary care
- Labs and X-ray*
- Physical therapy (15 visits)
- Nutrition counseling
- Counseling and psychiatry (up to 14 visits)
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Chiropractic care (10 visits)
*Lab services must be ordered and managed by Medical Services providers. Labs ordered by a community provider or sent out for processing to an outside facility will be subject to the insurance terms including copays, deductible and coinsurance.
Using Anthem Gold SHIP locally or nationally
Finding a provider or specialist
You can find an in-network provider by visiting anthem.com/find-care. Here’s how:
Step 1: Enter your Member ID prefix (BKJ) into the search menu at anthem.com/find-care. Click “Search”.
Step 2: Select your city, county or zip code in the top right search bar.
Step 3: Search for providers by:
- Entering a specialty, name or National Provider Identifier (NPI) into the search bar
- Selecting one of the specialty options from the bottom menu
Step 4: Explore providers available in your city or county. Select “View Details” to view more information about a particular provider.
How to access Anthem Gold SHIP insurance cards
Students may access their insurance cards through the Sydney app beginning Aug. 1.
How to access the Anthem pharmacy formulary
- Students with the Anthem Gold SHIP can use the Anthem/IngenioRx formulary list to search for medications and preview costs. Simply search for a specific prescription by name or use the alphabetical sort option to browse different medications.
If you have any questions about Anthem Gold SHIP or how to enroll, please contact the Student Health Insurance and Referrals office.