The 2022-2023 Site Leader application has closed.
Please consider joining our Alternative Breaks Program as a Participant -- our 2023 AB Participant Application will be open January 3 - February 6, 2023.
Each Alternative Breaks program is led by two co-site leaders. Site leaders are responsible for planning all aspects of an Alternative Breaks program, which includes
- Solidifying a service site and housing
- Recruiting participants
- Facilitating pre-program meetings
- Leading the group during the program
- Managing a program budget
- Creating safe spaces for learning and reflection
- Implementing the philosophies of the Volunteer Resource Center and Alternative Breaks program
Site leader training will prepare site leaders to learn about and facilitate the learning of others around the intersectionality and complexity of varied social and environmental issues. Through training and successful leadership of an Alternative Breaks program, students will be able to value and implement ideas of reciprocity, active citizenship, community building and culturally competent leadership. To learn more, review the site leader position description, which provides a complete and full description of the site leader role.
- Site Leader Training: Fall training sessions will be held Wednesdays, 4-6 p.m. Oct. 5-Dec. 7, 2022. Weekly spring meetings will be held the week of Jan. 16 through the week of Apr. 17; scheduling will be based on availability of the group.
- Site Leader Fall Retreat: An overnight retreat will be held Friday, Oct. 7–Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022
- Reveal: Friday, Feb. 17, 2023
- Pre-program Meetings: Scheduled based upon availability of group
- Alternative Breaks Programs: Saturday, Mar. 25–Sunday, Apr. 2, 2023
- Reorientation: Wednesday, Apr. 7, 2023
Please Note: There are a few additional requirements outside the above events, including assistance in the recruitment of Alternative Breaks participants. These requirements will be discussed upon selection as an Alternative Breaks site leader.
Dates and times are subject to change. Changes will be communicated with site leaders as soon as possible.