Each Alternative Break trip is led by two Co-Site Leaders. Site Leaders are responsible for planning all aspects of an Alternative Breaks trip, which includes:
- Solidifying a service site and housing
- Recruiting participants
- Facilitating Pre-Trip Meetings
- Leading the group during the trip
- Managing a trip budget
- Creating safe spaces for learning and reflection
- Implementing the philosophies of the Volunteer Resource Center and Alternative Breaks Program
Site Leader Training will prepare Site Leaders to learn about and facilitate the learning of others around the intersectionality and complexity of varied social and environmental issues. Through training and successful leadership of an Alternative Break trip, students will be able to value and implement ideas of reciprocity, active citizenship, community building, and culturally competent leadership. To learn more, review the Site Leader Position Description, which provides a complete and full description of the Site Leader role.
- Site Leader Training: Every Wednesday from 4:00-6:00pm, beginning Wednesday, September 29, 2021
- Site Leader Fall Retreat: Friday, October 8, 2021 from 5:00-9:00pm and Saturday, October 9, 2021 from 9:00am-5:00pm
- Site Leader Spring Retreat: Saturday, January 22, 2022 from 10:00am-5:00pm
- Reveal: Friday, February 18, 2022 from 5:00-7:00pm
- Pre-Trip Meetings: Scheduled based upon availability of group
- Alternative Break Trips: Saturday, March 19, 2022 - Sunday, March 27, 2022
- Reorientation: Friday, April 1, 2022 from 5:00-7:00pm
Please Note: There are a few additional requirements outside the above events, including assistance in the recruitment of Alternative Break participants. These requirements will be discussed upon selection as an Alternative Break Site Leader.
Dates and times are subject to change. Changes will be communicated with Site Leaders as soon as possible.