The 2019-2020 Alternative Breaks Site Leader Application is now closed. Read below to learn more about the Site Leader position and complete our interest form. We will email you when the 2020-2021 Site Leader Application opens!
Each Alternative Break trip is led by two Co-Site Leaders. Site Leaders are responsible for planning all aspects of an Alternative Breaks trip, which includes recruiting participants, facilitating pre-trip meetings, and leading the group during the trip. In addition, Site Leaders create safe spaces for learning and reflection, encourage and foster full participation, and implement the philosophies of the Volunteer Resource Center and Alternative Breaks program.
Site Leader Training will prepare Site Leaders to learn about and facilitate the learning of others around the intersectionality and complexity of varied social and environmental issues. Through training and successful leadership of an Alternative Break trip, students will be able to value and implement ideas of reciprocity, active citizenship, community building, and culturally competent leadership. To learn more, review the Site Leader Position Description, which provides a complete and full description of the Site Leader role.
- Site Leader Training: Every other Wednesday from 4:00-6:00pm, beginning September 25, 2019
- Site Leader Fall Retreat: Friday, September 27, 2019 from 5:00-9:00pm and Saturday, September 28, 2019 from 9:00am-5:00pm
- Site Leader Spring Retreat: Friday, January 24, 2020 from 5:00-9:00pm
- Reveal: Friday, February 21, 2020 from 5:30-7:30pm
- Pre-Trip Meetings: Scheduled based upon availability of group
- Alternative Break Trips: Saturday, March 21, 2020 - Sunday, March 29, 2020
- Reorientation: Friday, April 3, 2020 from 5:00-7:00pm
Please Note: There are a few additional requirements outside the above events, including assistance in the recruitment of Alternative Break participants. These requirements will be discussed upon selection as an Alternative Break Site Leader.