The site leader application is open. The priority deadline is May 1, 2022. If you are accepted, applying by the priority deadline allows you to select a social or environmental trip topic of your choice.
To apply click the link above, log into the CUServes platform using the Single Sign-On option, if you need to, search the University of Colorado Boulder, then with your CU Boulder email and identikey password, fill out the membership application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Each Alternative Breaks trip is led by two co-site leaders. Site leaders are responsible for planning all aspects of an Alternative Breaks trip, which includes
- Solidifying a service site and housing
- Recruiting participants
- Facilitating pre-trip meetings
- Leading the group during the trip
- Managing a trip budget
- Creating safe spaces for learning and reflection
- Implementing the philosophies of the Volunteer Resource Center and Alternative Breaks program
Site leader training will prepare site leaders to learn about and facilitate the learning of others around the intersectionality and complexity of varied social and environmental issues. Through training and successful leadership of an Alternative Breaks trip, students will be able to value and implement ideas of reciprocity, active citizenship, community building and culturally competent leadership. To learn more, review the site leader position description, which provides a complete and full description of the site leader role.
- Site Leader Training: Every Wednesday from 4-6 p.m., beginning Wednesday, September 29, 2021
- Site Leader Fall Retreat: Friday, October 8, 2021, from 5-9 p.m. and Saturday, October 9, 2021, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Site Leader Spring Retreat: Saturday, January 22, 2022, from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Reveal: Friday, February 18, 2022, from 5-7 p.m.
- Pre-trip Meetings: Scheduled based upon availability of group
- Alternative Breaks Trips: Saturday, March 19, 2022 – Sunday, March 27, 2022
- Reorientation: Wednesday, April 6, 2022, from 5-7 p.m.
Please Note: There are a few additional requirements outside the above events, including assistance in the recruitment of Alternative Breaks participants. These requirements will be discussed upon selection as an Alternative Breaks site leader.
Dates and times are subject to change. Changes will be communicated with site leaders as soon as possible.