Feb. 17 is Random Acts of Kindness Day! Even though many of us may be going through tough times, being kind to one another is important now more than ever. A simple act of kindness can have a ripple effect in people and go a long way.
Check out ways your actions can brighten someone’s day and events you can take part in to celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day.
Ideas to spread kindness
You don’t have to spend a lot of money or do extravagant things to show kindness to someone else. Remember—it's the thought that counts.Take part in the celebration and do something nice for someone. Here are some things you can try:
- Send a card in the mail to someone you miss
- Let someone at the grocery store go in front of you
- Donate clothes you don’t wear to a thrift store
- Send a friend a secret delivery like their favorite meal or snack from a restaurant
- Find a way to make someone laugh
- Volunteer to pick up trash around your neighborhood or the local park
- Check in with a friend or family member to see how they are doing
- Leave a thank you note for your mail carrier
- Start a group chat with your best friends and tell them what you appreciate about them the most
Try doing something nice—even smiling or waving hello to a stranger can brighten their day.
There will be many events next week that allow you to show kindness to yourself and others. Go meet new Buffs or bring a friend to spread some joy! Here are some activities to look out for:
- Mindful Mondays: Gratitude. Come share and celebrate your friends!
- Make-n-Take: Spring Success Kits. Get some free CU Swag and other essentials for your home.
- Health Hut: Days of Gratitude. Share with your fellow Buffs what you are grateful for in your life.
- Wellness Wednesday: Days of Gratitude. Use your Wellness Day to relax with other Buffs
- Guided Paint Classes. Learn how to paint evergreen trees in this guided class!
- An Evening with Esther Perel. Come join psychotherapist and award-winning podcast host Esther Perel for a night of questions and learning.
- Valentine’s Day Self Love and Community Love Grab-and-Go. Come pick up a bag of goodies to celebrate Valentine's Day or self love!
If you’re looking for more ways to spread joy this week, check out our Student Events website and be sure to follow us on social media @CUBoulderLife on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!