The CLASP Program at the University of Colorado is an interdisciplinary forum for scholars with interrelated research interests in the sociocultural and sociopolitical analysis of language. The CLASP Conference, organized at all levels by graduate students in the program, is a friendly conference designed for students and faculty to showcase new work. The conference brings in an array of national and international scholars from diverse countries and subdisciplines within sociocultural linguistics, such as sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, conversation analysis, critical discourse analysis, bilingualism, literacy studies, ethnography of speaking, and language policy. In 2022, the CLASP Program partnered with the Society for Linguistic Anthropology to host SLA 2022 in Boulder.
The CLASP program has been honored to welcome as plenary speakers scholars from this diverse group of academic fields, including the following scholars:
- Dr. Benjamin Bailey (Communication, University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- Dr. Mary Bucholtz (Linguistics, UC Santa Barbara)
- Dr. David Boromisza-Hayashi (Communication, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Leticia Cesarino (Anthropology, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina) (SLA 2022)
- Dr. Andrew Cowell (Linguistics, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Robert Craig (Communication, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Michel DeGraff (Linguistics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology) (SLA 2022)
- Dr. Cecilia Ford (English Language and Linguistics, University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- Dr. Barbara Fox (Linguistics, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Marjorie Goodwin (Anthropology, UC Los Angeles)
- Dr. Kira Hall (Linguistics and Anthropology, University of Colorado)
- Dr. Makoto Hayashi (Humanities, Nagoya University)
- Dr. Christine Mallinson (Language, Literacy, and Culture, University of Maryland)
- Dr. Norma Mendoza-Denton (Anthropology, UC Los Angeles)
- Dr. Kevin O'Connor (Education, University of Colorado Boulder)
- Dr. Angela Reyes (English, Hunter College in CUNY) (SLA 2022)
- Dr. Jonathan Rosa (Education, Stanford University)
- Dr. Shalini Shankar (Anthropology, Northwestern University) (SLA 2022)
- Dr. Jack Sidnell (Anthropology, University of Toronto)
- Dr. Krystal A. Smalls (Anthropology, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign) (SLA 2022)
- Dr. Crispin Thurlow (Communication, University of Washington)
- Dr. Virginia Zavala (Linguistics, Universidad Católica del Perú) (SLA 2022)
Starting with CLASP IV, the conference has competitively selected a student plenary. Past student plenaries include Lynnette Arnold (University of California, Santa Barbara), Rebeca Martínez Gómez (University of New Mexico), and Kuo Zhang (University of Georgia).
The CLASP conference is made possible through generous donations and support from our sponsors. These sponsors include the Bueno Center; the Department of Anthropology; the Department of Communication; the Department of Linguistics; the School of Education; United Government the Graduate Students; the Center for Studying Indigenous Languages of the West; the Student Organizations Allocation Committee.
Discover the plenary and workshop information from past CLASP conferences.