KWIP receives many requests for help every year. Unfortunately, we can't take every case.
We only consider applications that are filled out by the prisoner who is seeking our help. If your family member or friend in prison meets EVERY criterion listed below, have them fill out our application. (Or, email us at email@example.com, and we'll send an application to your family member or friend at the facility where they are housed.)
Please read these criteria carefully. A person in prison must meet all of these criteria to apply.
- You were convicted in Colorado. (If you are looking for help with a case from another state, please visit this link to find a list of other organizations that may be able to help you.)
- You are factually innocent. We cannot accept your case if you played any role in the crime (even a minor role) or if any of the following apply:
- You believe that you are not guilty because you acted in self-defense or under the influence of alcohol/drugs.
- You believe that you are not guilty by reason of insanity.
- You believe that you should have been convicted of a different crime or should have received a shorter sentence
- You are in prison and have at least one year left to serve.
- You have finished your trial and first appeal (called a direct appeal).
- You do not have a lawyer currently representing you.
- You were convicted of a felony, not a misdemeanor.
Please be aware that we receive many applications every month. We will do our best to get back to you in a timely manner, but please expect to wait to hear back from us.
It does not help to call or write multiple letters. We know each person's case is important and that we are often your last resort. That is why we are so careful in reviewing each application. The more times you write and call, the less time we have to screen applications and work on our cases.
Do not send us anything other than the application. We will reach out to you if we need any additional materials in your case.
Thank you for your patience.