Representing a small community in southwestern Colorado, Norwood is one of the most ideal places to gaze up at the stars because it sits on Wright's Mesa at 7000 ft in the high desert. It is exceptionally dark and friendly. The Town is presently working on a certification from the International Dark Sky Association (IDA). Please spend some time browsing this website learning about the mysteries that dwell above us and about any upcoming gatherings. We were recently certified by the International Dark Sky Association (IDA) as one of the darkest towns in the country. Earning this Dark Sky designation is a major accomplishment that can allow us to continue observing Wright's Mesa's beautiful night skies. We were certified in February, 2019.
Norwood Dark Sky Advocates and our goals
Norwood Dark Sky Advocates work to protect the beautiful night skies that we enjoy in the Norwood area for present and future generations.
- Advocate for the protection of the night sky
- Educate the public and policymakers about night sky conservation
- Promote environmentally responsible outdoor lighting
- Empower the public with the tools and resources to help bring back the night
- Educate the public and landowners the advantages of using Dark-Sky certified lighting fixtures and equipment for the environment, their security, and their bottom-line
- Encourage the community, businesses, government agencies and leaders by helping them recognize the economic benefits of adopting non-light-polluting practices and preserving our dark nighttime sky