Office: Clare 112
- Health and safety consequences of insufficient sleep and circadian misalignment. Development of countermeasures and treatments for sleep and circadian disruption to improve public health and safety.
- Sleep and Chronobiology Laboratory.
- 1986-1990, B.S. (Psychology), University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1991-1994, M.A., (Behavioral Neuroscience/Psychology) Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- 1994-1996, Ph.D. (Behavioral Neuroscience/Psychology) Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- 1989-1991, Research Assistant in Psychology, Sleep and Cognition Unit, Psychology Department, University of Arizona; Tucson, AZ. Director, Richard R. Bootzin, Ph.D.
- 1995-1997, Post-doctoral Faculty Fellow, Behavioral Neuroscience/Sleep and Circadian Rhythms, Psychology Department, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH. Director, Pietro Badia, Ph.D.
- 1997-2000, Research Fellow in Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Circadian, Neuroendocrine and Sleep Disorders Section, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA. Director, Charles A. Czeisler, Ph.D., M.D.
- 2000-2001, Associate Neuroscientist, Division of Endocrinology, Circadian, Neuroendocrine and Sleep Disorders Section, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2000-2002, Instructor in Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- 2001-2002, Associate Neuroscientist, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2001-2002, Director, Fatigue Countermeasures Research Program, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2002-2003, Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology & Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2003-2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2009-2015, Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO.
- 2009-2015, Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2015, Adjunct Professor, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO.
- 2015, Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
Honors and Awards
- 1996, Charles E. Shanklin Award for Research Excellence of the Bowling Green State University.
- 1997-2000, National Research Service Award (T32) - National Institutes of Health.
- 1998-2000, Distinction in Teaching; Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning; Harvard University.
- 1999-2001, Fellowship in Clinical and Community Health Research The Medical Foundation and Harold Whitworth Pierce Charitable Trust.
- 2000, Young Investigator Award, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Honorable mention.
- 2003, Young Investigator, William C. Dement Sleep and Chronobiology Apprenticeship, Brown University.
- 2005, J. Christian Gillin, M.D. Research Award, Sleep Research Society Foundation.
- 2007, Distinguished Service Award, Sleep Research Society.
- 2007, Marinus Smith Award, University of Colorado Parents Association.
- 2013, Provost's Faculty Achievement Award, University of Colorado Boulder.
- 2018, Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence Award for Research, Scholarly and Creative Work – University of Colorado Boulder.
- Akacem LD, Wright KP Jr, LeBourgeois MK. Sensitivity of the Circadian System to Evening Bright Light in Preschool-Age Children. Physiological Reports doi: 10.14814/phy2.13617, 2018.
- Depner CM, Melanson EL, McHill AW, Wright KP Jr. Mistimed food intake and sleep alters 24 hour time-of-day patterns of the human plasma proteome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115: E5390-E5399, 2018.
- Mason IC, Boubekri M, Figueiro MG, Hasler BP, Hattar S, Hill SM, Nelson RJ, Sharkey KM, Wright KP, Boyd WA, Brown MK, Laposky AD, Twery MJ, Zee PC. Circadian Health and Light: A Report on the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Workshop. Journal of Biological Rhythms doi: 10.1177/0748730418789506, 2018.
- Melanson EL, Ritchie HK, Dear TB, Catenacci V, Shea K, Connick E, Moehlman TM, Stothard ER, Higgins J, McHill AW, Wright KP Jr. Daytime Bright Light Exposure, Metabolism, and Individual Differences in Wake and Sleep Energy Expenditure During Circadian Entrainment and Misalignment. Neurobiology of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms 4: 49-56, 2018.
- Swanson CM, Kohrt WM, Buxton OM, Everson CA, Wright KP Jr, Orwoll ES, Shea SA. The Importance of the Circadian System & Sleep for Bone Health. Metabolism 84: 28-43, 2018.
- Broussard JL, Reynolds AC, Depner CM, Ferguson SA, Dawson D, Wright KP. Jr. Circadian Rhythms versus Daily Patterns in Human Physiology and Behavior; pp 279-295. In V. Kumar Ed. Biological Timekeeping: Clocks, Rhythms and Behaviour, 2017.
- Drake CL, Wright KP Jr. Shift Work, Shift-Work Disorder, and Jet Lag Disorder. In Kryger MH, Roth T, Dement WC (Eds). Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. Sixth Edition. 714-725, 2017.
- McHill AW, Wright KP Jr. Role of sleep and circadian disruption on energy expenditure and in metabolic predisposition to human obesity and metabolic disease. Obesity Reviews 218: 15-24, 2017.
- Mullins EN, Miller AL, Cherian SS, Lumeng JC, Wright KP Jr, Kurth S, LeBourgeois MK. Acute Sleep Restriction Increases Dietary Intake in Preschool-Age Children. Journal of Sleep Research 26: 48-54, 2017.
- Reynolds AC, Broussard JL, Paterson JL, Wright KP Jr, Ferguson SA. Sleepy, circadian disrupted and sick: Could intestinal microbiota play an important role in shift worker health? Molecular Metabolism 6: 12-13, 2017.
- Ritchie HK, Burke TM, Dear TB, Mchill AW, Axelsson J, Wright KP Jr. Impact of sleep inertia on visual selective attention for rare targets and the influence of chronotype. Journal of Sleep Research Apr 4, 2017.
- Stothard ER, McHill AW, Depner CM, Birks BR, Moehlman TM, Ritchie HK, Guzzetti JR, Chinoy ED, LeBourgeois MK, Axelsson J, Wright KP Jr. Circadian Entrainment to the Natural Light-Dark Cycle Across Seasons and the Weekend. Current Biology 27: 1-6, 2017.