Office: Clare 112
- Health and safety consequences of insufficient sleep and circadian misalignment. Development of countermeasures and treatments for sleep and circadian disruption to improve public health and safety.
- Sleep and Chronobiology Laboratory.
- 1986-1990, B.S. (Psychology), University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1991-1994, M.A., (Behavioral Neuroscience/Psychology) Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- 1994-1996, Ph.D. (Behavioral Neuroscience/Psychology) Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- 1989-1991, Research Assistant in Psychology, Sleep and Cognition Unit, Psychology Department, University of Arizona; Tucson, AZ. Director, Richard R. Bootzin, Ph.D.
- 1995-1997, Post-doctoral Faculty Fellow, Behavioral Neuroscience/Sleep and Circadian Rhythms, Psychology Department, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH. Director, Pietro Badia, Ph.D.
- 1997-2000, Research Fellow in Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Circadian, Neuroendocrine and Sleep Disorders Section, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA. Director, Charles A. Czeisler, Ph.D., M.D.
- 2000-2001, Associate Neuroscientist, Division of Endocrinology, Circadian, Neuroendocrine and Sleep Disorders Section, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2000-2002, Instructor in Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
- 2001-2002, Associate Neuroscientist, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2001-2002, Director, Fatigue Countermeasures Research Program, Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and WomenÌs Hospital, Boston, MA.
- 2002-2003, Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology & Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2003-2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2009-2015, Adjunct Associate Professor, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO.
- 2009-2015, Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- 2015, Adjunct Professor, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO.
- 2015, Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
Honors and Awards
- 1996, Charles E. Shanklin Award for Research Excellence of the Bowling Green State University.
- 1997-2000, National Research Service Award (T32) - National Institutes of Health.
- 1998-2000, Distinction in Teaching; Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning; Harvard University.
- 1999-2001, Fellowship in Clinical and Community Health Research The Medical Foundation and Harold Whitworth Pierce Charitable Trust.
- 2000, Young Investigator Award, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Honorable mention.
- 2003, Young Investigator, William C. Dement Sleep and Chronobiology Apprenticeship, Brown University.
- 2005, J. Christian Gillin, M.D. Research Award, Sleep Research Society Foundation.
- 2007, Distinguished Service Award, Sleep Research Society.
- 2007, Marinus Smith Award, University of Colorado Parents Association.
- 2013, Provost's Faculty Achievement Award, University of Colorado Boulder.
- 2018, Boulder Faculty Assembly Excellence Award for Research, Scholarly and Creative Work – University of Colorado Boulder.
- Barger LK, Sullivan JP, Blackwell, O'Brien CS, St. Hilaire MA, Phillips AJK, Qadri S, Wright Jr KP, Segar JL, McGuire JK, Vitiello MV, de la Iglesia H, Poynter SE, Yu PL, Sanderson A, Halbower A, Lockley SW, Landrigan CP, Stone KL, Czeisler CA, and the ROSTERS Study Group. Effects on Resident Work Hours and Sleep Duration in a Randomized Order Safety Trial Evaluating Resident-physician Schedules (ROSTERS) Sleep 2019. May 20. pii: zsz110. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz110. [Epub ahead of print]
- Blackwell T, Kriesel DR, Vittinghoff E, O'Brien CS, Sullivan JP, Viyaran NC, Rahman SA, Lockley SW, Barger LK, Halbower AC, Poynter SE, Wright KP Jr, Yu PL, Zee PC, Landrigan CP, Czeisler CA, Stone KL; ROSTERS Study Group. Design and recruitment of the randomized order safety trial evaluating resident-physician schedules (ROSTERS) study. Contemp Clin Trials. 2019 Mar 15;80:22-33. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2019.03.005
- Creasy SA, Crane TE, Garcia DO, Thomson CA, Kohler LN, Wertheim BC, Baker L, Coday M, Hale L, Womack CR, Wright KP, Melanson EL. Higher amounts of Sedentary Time are Associated with Short Sleep Duration and Poor Sleep Quality in Postmenopausal Women. Sleep. 2019 Apr 17. pii: zsz093. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz093. [Epub ahead of print].
- Depner CM, Melanson EL, Eckel RH, Snell-Bergeon JK, Perreault L, Bergman BC, Higgins JA, Guerin MK, Stothard ER, Morton SJ, Wright KP Jr. Ad libitum Weekend Recovery Sleep Fails to Prevent Metabolic Dysregulation during a Repeating Pattern of Insufficient Sleep and Weekend Recovery Sleep. Curr Biol. 2019 Mar 18;29(6):957-967.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2019.01.069. Epub 2019 Feb 28
- Depner CM, Melanson EL, McHill AW, Wright KP Jr. Mistimed food intake and sleep alters 24 hour time-of-day patterns of the human plasma proteome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2018. 115(23):E5390-E5399. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1714813115.
- McHill AW, Wright Jr KP. Cognitive Impairments During the Transition to Working at Night and on Subsequent Nightshifts. Journal of Biological Rhythms 2019. May 9:748730419848552. doi: 10.1177/0748730419848552. [Epub ahead of print]
- Simon SL, McWhirter L, Behn CD, Bubar KM, Kaar JL, Pyle L, Rahat H, Garcia-Reyes Y, Carreau AM, Wright KP, Nadeau KJ, Cree-Green M. Morning circadian misalignment is associated with insulin resistance in girls with obesity & Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019 pii: jc.2018-02385. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-02385.
- Roenneberg T, Wirz-Justice A, Skene DJ, Ancoli-Israel S, Wright KP, Dijk DJ, Zee P, Gorman MR, Winnebeck EC, Klerman EB. Why Should We Abolish Daylight Saving Time? J Biol Rhythms. 2019 Jun;34(3):227-230. doi: 10.1177/0748730419854197.
- Simon SL, Behn CD, Cree-Green M, Kaar JL, Pyle L, Hawkins SMM, Rahat H, Garcia-Reyes Y, Wright KP Jr, Nadeau KJ. Too Late and Not Enough: School Year Sleep Duration, Timing, and Circadian Misalignment Are Associated with Reduced Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents with Overweight/Obesity. Journal of Pediatrics. 2019 205:257-264.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.10.027.
- Simon SL, Diniz Behn C, Laikin A, Kaar JL, Rahat H, Cree-Green M, Wright KP Jr, Nadeau KJ. Sleep & Circadian Health are Associated with Mood & Behavior in Adolescents with Overweight/Obesity. Behav Sleep Med. 2019 Jun 20:1-10. doi: 10.1080/15402002.2019.1629444. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sprecher KE, Ritchie HK, Burke TM, Depner CM, Smits A, Dorrestein PC, Fleshner M, Knight R, Lowry CA, Turek FW, Vitaterna MH, Wright Jr KP. Trait-like vulnerability of higher-order cognition and ability to maintain wakefulness during combined sleep restriction and circadian misalignment. Sleep 2019. May 9. pii: zsz113. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz113. [Epub ahead of print]
- Swanson CM, Blatchford PJ, Orwoll ES, Cauley JA, LeBlanc ES, Fink HA, Wright KP Jr, Wierman ME, Kohrt WM, Stone KL; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF). Association between objective sleep duration and bone mineral density in older postmenopausal women from the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF). Osteoporos Int. 2019 May 28. doi: 10.1007/s00198-019-05007-5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Swanson CM, Kohrt WM, Wolfe P, Wright KP Jr, Shea SA, Cain SW, Munch M, Vujović N, Czeisler CA, Orwoll ES, Buxton OM. Rapid suppression of bone formation marker in response to sleep restriction and circadian disruption in men. Osteoporos Int. 2019 Aug 24. doi: 10.1007/s00198-019-05135-y. [Epub ahead of print]