Office: Ramaley W205B
- Neuromuscular determinants of motor function (movement) in health and disease.
- Neurophysiology of Movement Laboratory.
- 1968-1970, Dip. P.E., University of Otago, New Zealand
- 1971, Dip. Teaching, Christchurch Teachers College, New Zealand
- 1974-1976, M.S., University of Washington , Seattle, WA.
- 1976-1981, Ph.D., University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
- 1981-1987, Assistant Professor, Department of Exercise & Sport Sciences, University of Arizona , Tucson, AZ.
- 1986-1990, Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1987-1992, Associate Professor, Department of Exercise & Sport Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1990-1992, Associate Professor, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1992-1993, Professor, Departments of Exercise & Sport Sciences and Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- 1993-1996, Staff Scientist, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- 1996-2002, Professor, Department of Kinesiology & Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- 2000-2002, Chair, Department of Kinesiology & Applied Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- 2003-Present, Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder
- 2003-2013, Chair, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder
- 2003-Present, Adjoint Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado
- 2011-Present, Adjoint Professor, Department of Neurology, Anschutz Medical Campus, University of Colorado
- 2016-2017, Chair, Department of Mathematics, University of Colorado Boulder
- 2018-2020, Associate Chair, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder
Honors and Awards
- 1989-1990, President, American Society of Biomechanics
- 1990-1998, Member, World Committee for Biomechanics.
- 1992-1996, NIH Study Section, Respiratory and Applied Physiology
- 1992-1996, American Physical Therapy Association, Research Advisory Panel
- 2004, Presidential Lecture, annual meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine
- 2011, Muybridge Award, International Society of Biomechanics
- 2018, Basmajian Award, International Society of Electrophysiology and Kinesiology
- 2018, Borelli Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- Alenazy M, Daneshgar Asl S, Petrigna L, Feka K, Alvarez E, Almuklass AM, Enoka RM. Treatment with electrical stimulation of sensory nerves improves motor function and disability status in persons with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 61: 102607, 2021.
- Almuklass AM, Capobianco RA, Feeney DF, Alvarez E, Enoka RM. Sensory nerve stimulation causes an immediate improvement in motor function of persons with multiple sclerosis: a pilot study. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders 38: 101508, 2020.
- Davis LA, Alenazy MS, Almuklass AM, Feeney DF, Vieira T, Botter A, Enoka RM. Force control during submaximal isometric contractions is associated with walking performance in persons with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurophysiology 123: 2191-2200, 2020.
- Davis LA, Allen SP, Hamilton LD, Grabowski AM, Enoka RM. Age-independent differences in postural sway of young and older adults are associated with the ability to perform steady contractions with leg muscles. Experimental Brain Research 238: 487-497, 2020.
- Davis LA, Carzoli JP, Feka K, Nelson C. Enoka RM. Exercise with TENS does not augment the gains in balance and strength for dancers. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 56: 102507, 2021.
- Del Vecchio A, Holobar A, Falla D, Felici F, Enoka RM, Farina D. Tutorial: Analysis of motor unit discharge characteristics from high-density surface EMG signals. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 53: 102426, 2020.
- Duchateau J, Enoka RM. Distribution of motor unit properties across human muscles. Journal of Applied Physiology 132: 1-13, 2022.
- Enoka RM. The motor unit and muscle action. In Kandel ER, Koester JD, Mack SH, Siegelbaum SA (Eds.), Principles of Neural Science 6th edition, pp. 737-760. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2021.
- Enoka RM, Almuklass AM, Alenazy M, Alvarez E, Duchateau J. Distinguishing between fatigue and fatigability in multiple sclerosis. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair 35: 960-973, 2021.
- Enoka RM, Amiridis IG, Duchateau J. Electrical stimulation of muscle: electrophysiology and rehabilitation. Physiology 35: 40-56, 2020.
- Enoka RM, Farina D. Force steadiness: from motor units to voluntary actions. Physiology 36: 114-130, 2021.
- Manca A, Hortobágyi T, Carroll TJ, Enoka RM, Farthing J, Gandevia S, Kidgell D, Taylor J, Deriu F. Contralateral effects of unilateral strength and skill training: a modified Delphi consensus to establish key aspects of cross-education. Sports Medicine 51: 11-20, 2021.
- Marshall PW, Forward T, Enoka RM. Fatigability of the knee extensors following high- and low-load resistance exercise sessions in trained men. European Journal of Applied Physiology 122: 245-254, 2022.
- Marshall PW, Harrison TF, Enoka RM. Declines in muscle contractility and activation during isometric contractions of the knee extensors vary with contraction intensity and exercise volume. Experimental Physiology 106: 2096-2106, 2021.
- Marshall PW, Metcalf E, Hagstrom AD, Cross R, Siegler JC, Enoka RM. Changes in fatigue are the same for trained men and women after resistance exercise. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 52: 196-204, 2020.
- Mazzo MR, Weinman LE, Giustino V, McLagan B, Maldanado J, Enoka RM. Changes in neural drive to calf muscles during steady submaximal contractions after repeated static stretches. Journal of Physiology 599: 4321-4336, 2021.
- McManus L, Lowery M, Merletti R, Søgaard K, Besomi M, Clancy EA, van Dieën JH, Hug F, Wrigley T, Besier T, Carson RG, Disselhorst-Klug C, Enoka RM, Falla D, Farina D, Gandevia S, Holobar A, Kiernan MC, McGill K, Perreault E, Rothwell JC, Tucker K, Hodges PW. Consensus for experimental design in electromyography (CEDE) project: terminology matrix. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 55: 102565, 2021.