Welcome to my website!
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer, and Energy Engineering (ECEE) at the University of Colorado Boulder, and an affiliate faculty of the Department of Applied Mathematics. I received my P.h.D in Information Engineering from the University of Padova, Italy, in 2011. I was a Postdoctoral Associate at the University of Minnesota from 2011 to 2014. I started my appointment as an assistant professor at the University of Colorado Boulder in 2018.
My background is in the broad areas of Optimization Theory, Learning, and Control. The objective of current research efforts is to advance theory, algorithms, and analysis for decision systems. The current focus is on online optimization and data-enabled optimization of network and dynamical systems. Application domains include power systems and healthcare.
Google Scholar: link
Department webpage: link
I am looking for motivated Ph.D. students with research interests in online optimization and learning.
News and updates:
- Mar. '22: Three papers accepted to the Annual Learning for dynamics and Control Conference.
- Jan. '22: New grant! I am part of a project sponsored by AFRL with Prof. Taylor Barton.
- Nov. '21: I gave a seminar at the University of California San Diego
- Oct. '21: I gave a seminar at Washington State University
- Oct. '21: I gave a seminar at the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems at MIT
- July '21: Two papers accepted to IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2021.
- July '21: Recipient of the IEEE PES Prize Paper Award
- May '21: Welcome to Lily Cothren! She joins our group as a PhD student.
- May '21: I gave a seminar at the University of California Berkeley
- Apr. '21: I gave a seminar at the University of California Santa Barbara
- Appr. '21: Our group won one best journal paper award.
- Dec. '20: New grant! Jorge Cortes and I received an NSF award from the Dynamics, Control and System Diagnostics (DCDS) program
- Nov. '20: New grant! We received a seed grant to investigate the development of control policies for epidemics
- Nov. '20: Our group won two best journal paper awards.
- Aug. '20: I am part of the new NSF ERC "Advancing Sustainability through Powered Infrastructure for Roadway Electrification," funded by NSF.
- Jul. '20: I gave a webinar at Iowa State University.
- May '20: Welcome to Seung Kim! She joins our group as a PhD student.
- Jan. '20: I am an Associate Editor for the IEEE Control Systems Letters.
- Dec. '19: New grant! I received the National Science Foundation CAREER award from the Energy, Power, Control, and Networks (EPCN) program.
- Sep. '19: Welcome to Nicola Bastianello, Ph.D. student at the University of Padova. He joins our group as a visiting student.
- Aug. '19: Welcome to Felipe Galarza Jimenez! He will be pursuing his Ph.D. under the joint supervision with Prof. Jorge I. Poveda.
- July '19: New grant! I am co-PI on the grant "Online and gradient-free optimization of power and energy systems," funded by NSF DMS, AMPS program.
- June '19: New grant! I am co-PI on the project "Multi-objective deep reinforcement learning for grid-interactive energy-efficient buildings," funded by DOE.
- April '19: I am now a member of the Affiliate Faculty Program of the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Feb. '19: I gave a talk for the Department Colloquium at the Department of Applied Mathematics at the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Jan. '19: I gave an invited talk at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences at the University of Cambridge.
- Jan. '19: I gave a talk at the Department of Information Engineering at the University of Padova.