Are you interested in reducing your environmental impact at home?
Sign up for an EcoVisit with the Graduate & Family Housing Sustainability Coordinator, who will provide a virtual or in-person visit at your home to walk through easy steps you can take to reduce your daily impact at home. Topics include:
- Reduce your energy bill
- Improve air quality in your home
- Live a more zero waste lifestyle
- Insure efficient water usage
- Explore sustainable transportation options
- Discuss Eco social justice impacts
You will also get a FREE EcoKit that includes tools to help reduce your environmental imact right away. EcoKits come with everything you need to start reducing your environmental impact where you live!
The EcoKit includes:
- Compost Bin
- LED Light Bulbs (2)
- Reusable Utensil Kit with Straw
- Reusable Bag
- Laundry Detergent Sheets
- Bike Lights (front/rear)
- Toilet Tabs for detecting leaks
- Shower Timer
- Zip It Drain Cleaner (to clean drains without toxic chemicals)
Food Security in GFH
The Environmental Center and Graduate & Family Housing are partnering with Boulder Food Rescue to deliver free food for the GFH commuity! This food is reclaimed from local grocery stores and weekly delivery is based on the excess food available. Since the amount deliverd changes each week, we encourage residents to check if you qualify for SNAP, Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) support, or Fruit and Veggie programs (no citizenship required for the last two).
Food distribution schedule:
- Tuesdays from 11-12 (or until food runs out)
- Athens North Community Room
- Saturdays from 1-2 (or until food runs out)
- Smiley Court 1300 30th St Community Room B2-17
Please help us with our weekly food distribution be being there to receive the food, unpack, help distribute, and clean up.
The Buff Pantry is the on-campus food pantry at the University of Colorado Boulder and is here to support all undergraduate and graduate students who are experiencing food insecurity.
Clients are welcome to visit the Buff Pantry one time per week and will receive approximately 20 pounds of food per visit. The Buff Pantry provides shelf-stable products, fresh produce, refrigerated, frozen and personal care items at no cost to students. Food and personal care item selection will vary based on availability, donations and time of year. We look forward to serving you!
A mobile food pantry will take place on the UMC South Terrace Plaza.
Attendees will receive up to 30 pounds of food in multiple boxes. Drive-through is not available at the mobile food pantry. If driving, limited parking will be available in the Euclid Parking Garage. A volunteer will be present at the entrance of the Euclid Parking Garage to provide additional information.
The mobile food pantry is free and open to CU Boulder students, faculty and staff, as well as community members of Boulder and Broomfield Counties. Food will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us by contacting email@example.com for any questions.
The CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is pleased to announce its continued relationship with Ollin Farms. This partnership allows Graduate and Family Housing residents to buy shares from a local farm (delivered on a weekly basis). This program helps to support local farms while also providing an opportunity for residents to access seasonal farm-fresh produce.
Beginning May 31st, Ollin Farms will have a market-style pick-up for people who have bought shares every Tuesday from 4PM-6PM for 21 weeks in the parking lot of Athens North Hall (running until the end of October).
Here is the location on the CAMPUS MAP
If you are interested in buying a share, please visit Ollin Farms website
Are you interested in buying a share, but need financial assistance?
Zero Waste in GFH
Graduate & Family Housing has compost collection bins/dumpsters for all areas:
- Athens Court Dumpster Area
- Marine Court Dumpster Area
- Smiley Court Garden
- Day Care Center
GFH residents are given compost bins for their kitchen area and can bring their compostables to any of the collection bins:
Donate Clothing in GFH
Donate clothing and shoes at the following locations... click on each location for a map:
- GFH Main Office - near lot 145, inbetween Marine Court and Athens Court
- Newton Court - lot 177, near day care center
- Newton Court - lot 177, off of Folsom Street
- Smiley Court - lot 510
- Clothing in useable condition
- Shoes in usable condition
- No trash
- Get in the habit... keep these reusable items with you:
- Water Bottles, Mugs, Utensils, Grocery bags, and backpacks
- Save Money! Find clothing/items in great shape and give them a new life
- Save resources by preventing new items from being created
- Find those retro fashions that are coming back in style!
- YOU choose what companies produce when you purchase goods and services
- Buy sustainable products to show your consumer demand for a healthier planet
- Choose products with minimal packaging (with preferance on reusable and recyclable packaging)