Breaking News

Author

By Philip P. DiStefano

The annexation of CU Boulder South embodies the best of Boulder.

As I’ve said many times since its passage last year, the annexation agreement provides critical protection for major flooding events, secures 119 acres of protected open space, creates urgently needed attainable housing and represents a commitment to extensive public collaboration.

And I’m pleased that on Election Day, so many of you reaffirmed these community values. While we expect local election results to be certified on Nov. 30, it appears that the annexation can proceed, and we’re eager to work with the City of Boulder in the months ahead as it continues the permitting process.

We are grateful for the thousands of residents who supported annexation at the ballot box and who participated in dozens of public meetings over many years to help shape the annexation agreement.

We are also thankful for the Boulder City Council members, Boulder County officials, boards and commissions, and city and university staff who worked hard to move annexation forward so we could collaboratively address vital community needs.

Looking forward, our first priority is to continue working with the city to help facilitate the design and permitting efforts for the flood protection project on the site, located near U.S. 36 and Table Mesa Drive.

In the months ahead, we intend to embark on a collaborative and detailed planning process for the site, considering both the benefits and the concerns that have been voiced throughout this process.

As we move forward, it’s evident that some Boulder residents have reservations about the project and what it will mean for our community. I hear you. Please know that CU Boulder will continue to listen and engage with our neighbors as these plans take shape.

I am a 40-year resident of Boulder myself, and I care deeply about this community. We want to ensure that this site advances our community’s safety, is sustainable and environmentally sensitive, and also provides open space access and housing opportunities for generations to come.

I hope that all of us — even those who disagree with this project — can find a way to join together in a spirit of collaboration to address the issues and priorities of our shared community.

My hope is that our annexation agreement and our combined efforts on CU Boulder South will solidify Boulder as a forward-thinking community that is willing to take action to create a safe, more equitable and inclusive city.

We’re excited to partner with all of you to build that legacy.

Philip P. DiStefano is the 11th chancellor of CU Boulder.