Published: Nov. 5, 2021 By

iphone belonging to Jennifer HoJennifer Ho is a CU Boulder ethnic studies professor and director of the Center for Humanities and the Arts. As the daughter of a refugee from China and an immigrant from Jamaica, she is a passionate voice in anti-racism conversations at CU and around the world. 

Phone Model: Red iPhone SE in a clear, protective case 

iPhone Insights:

How soon after waking up do you look at your phone? 

Depends. If I need to check the weather, I may look at it an hour or two after waking up. If I don’t, then half a day can go by before I look at my phone.  

Duration of longest call last week?

I talked to my mom on the phone for 30 minutes.

Location of last selfie? 

The Grand Tetons with my husband last week — the only selfies I take are with him.

Lock screen or background image?  

A photo of a lava field at Volcano National Park on the big island of Hawaii. I took the photo when I was visiting there with my parents in November 2019. That place was probably one of the most sublime experiences I’ve had — I can’t describe what it’s like to drive through the lava fields and to see new rock formations from the last volcanic explosion.

How many hours were you on your phone last week? 

No idea, but my guess is maybe an hour tops.

Oldest photo on your phone? 

I have a picture of my grandmother taken in 1930, though of course it was digitized in the last decade. I’m pretty sure this was her immigration photo — probably taken in Hong Kong/Kowloon in order for her to go to Kingston, Jamaica, and rejoin my grandfather, who lived there. 

Most-Used Apps: 

Apple Maps, Insight Timer, WeCroak (Bhutanese meditation app) 

apple maps logo, insight timer app logo, wecroak logo

Most-Used Emoji: 

shocked face emoji

Submit feedback to the editor

Photo courtesy of Jennifer Ho