February 3, 1888
Now a romantic set of sandstone arches over the lake, Varsity Bridge has gone through several transformations over the course of CU’s history. An early version was a rough wooden bridge that connected the President’s House (now the Koenig Alumni Center) and Old Main. In August of 1888, university Regents authorized the construction of a new bridge made of iron and stone supports.
In 1935, university leadership again reimagined the bridge, which was torn down and rebuilt with stone construction that matched the University of Colorado style. Today, the spot is a favorite for spotting sunbathing turtles or goldfish swimming in Varsity Lake.
Photo courtesy of Carnegie Library for Local History/Museum of Boulder Collection