We all know and love Ralphie. But let’s not forget about “ Alphie” — Ralphie’s cousin and the world’s only known inflatable fur buffalo. An unmistakable presence at CU Boulder festivities (usually outdoors), the friendly giant recently made a trip to San Antonio for the Buffs’ Alamo Bowl appearance. When he’s off the clock, Alphie lives at the Koenig Alumni Center.
- 2002: Alphie's debut
- 2016: Alphie 2's debut
Lafayette, Colo: Alphie's birthplace (in the Boulder Blimp Company)
Some of Alphie's travels: California, Massachusetts, Texas, Winter Park Resort, Denver Zoo
1,985.5 miles to Foxborough, Mass., farthest known destination
32 number of Alphie appearances in 2016
- 960 pounds of weights securing him in place
- 30 minutes typical inflation time
- 15 minutes deflation time
- 2 electric blowers to inflate
- 3 "Alphie handlers" inflate him
Only known furry buffalo in the world.
After Alphie's first inflation, designers decided to flip his horns to makehim seem more aggressive.
Alphie 2 has new eyes more like a live buffalo's
- 6 weeks start to finish
- 30 hours to design
- 20 hours to cut the material
- 180 hours for six sewers to stitch
- 122 yards of fur fabric (interior is nylon)
Alphie's namesame is Ralphie, CU Boulder's live buffalo mascot
- 12 feet deep
- 25 feet wide
- 20 feet high
213 pounds deflated, approx.
584.458 cubic feet in volume