Published: June 1, 2013 By

Julie Andrews Commencement

On the morning of May 10, British actress Julie Andrews addressed graduates and their families and friends in Folsom Field, referencing well-known lines in her movies and urging them to be lifelong learners.

An Academy Award-winner for best actress in Mary Poppins, she was the leading star in the third highest grossing film The Sound of Music, nominated for best actress in the 1982 musical comedy film Victor Victoria and appeared in 2001 in The Princess Diaries. Andrews sent off the graduates with charming words of encouragement, wisdom and humor, ending with, “The hills today are truly alive with the graduating class of 2013. Bravo.”

Here are some of our favorite quotes:

• “Hello, Buffalo people!”
  • “I, too, had a very late evening last night. It started out with a lovely dinner on Pearl Street, and even though it was not my 21st birthday, I made my way to the pub to kiss the buffalo. Why not? I segued on to The Sink on The Hill where I think I may have seen some of you this morning. You have such amazing stamina.”
  • “Use your knowledge, and your heart, to stand up for those who can’t stand, speak for those who can’t speak, be a beacon of light for those whose lives have become dark.”

Photo courtesy Glenn Asakawa